1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there actually press-box etiquette?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The_Equalizer, Sep 4, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Speaking of etiquette.....

Slappy....there is not a NSFW label on this thread. I think you could have made your point without gigantic type that people on the other end of my office could have seen.

I didn't quote function it because I didn't want the giant letters repeated again, so scroll up if y'all are wondering what I'm talking about.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't know I had to clear the F-bomb with you before posting it three days before you read it, but I will adjust

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's been awhile since I've been in a press box, but I'm somewhat confused by the advice that's all over the map on this.

This guy is sitting in an assigned seat with your name on it. You note this to him, he should move.

He doesn't, you tell the person who runs the press box, who asks him to move.

Right?

4. oldhack

oldhack Member

Big-shots from major metros often get get pissed off when they are sent to cover a game in the sticks, so they look for someone to pick on, and it's usually the beat person from the local paper, or a kid stringer. Sometimes it comes back to bite them. I was the kid stringer when a guy from a major metro went off on me in the press box. About 15 years later I was an AME at his paper, and people were tired of his bully act, which was hurting the paper's rep. When the decision was made to take him off his beat, I didn't participate. I probably could have jumped in to save him, but I didn't, because I had seen him in action years before.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Full proof that the same people you meet going up the hill you see going down the hill. Good advice put in practice ol'hack.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd say you should have jumped in, oldhack.

Not to save him. To help hold his fucking head under the water until he stopped thrashing around.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't care about the F-bomb... I care that it was in gigantic fucking letters like that. Jumps out just as much as a NSFW picture. Next time try a little reading comprehension before you respond, ok?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did that to Ric Renner (the FSN Southwest blowhard) once at a Cowboy game. I saw him sitting in my seat and I said "Hey, you're Football_Bat from the Pixley Tribune, aren'tcha?" He said "No, but thanks for asking." I just stood there without saying a word and about 15 seconds later he got up as if he had to do something else.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Little reading comphrension? Comprehend this: Blow me assclown... 10 pt type... if that's too big for you at work, then don't go here at work.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good one, Bat. Hey, and say hello to Sam Drucker and friends at Pixley.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hear they're buying out the Hooterville paper (which is where Sam Drucker works, Ace!).

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I imagine Pixley will buy Hooterville, and then consolidate all the sports coverage between the two operations.

Draft saved Draft deleted