1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a place in the Hall for this man?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Mar 25, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Buck was a horse, Rodman was a jackass.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I can understand this argument. Not so much the "Miller is first ballot" one.

I'm a big Rodman guy, but I realize that some of my support relies on advanced statistics. Namely, Rodman rebounded almost a quarter of ALL shots put up:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/trb_pct_career.html

Russell and Chamberlain aren't in the list because of a lack of reliable data, I believe. Rodman is two full percentage points over the next highest guy, and beyond the rebounds, he was also really valuable on the defensive end. Could you build a team around him? Probably not, and he probably did stat pad like a mofo and let the rest of his game rot to rebound. It doesn't change the fact that it was an incredibly value skill for his teams. (Dean Oliver makes a much better argument than I for this in "Basketball on Paper" I believe.)

In the HoF thread, someone compared him to Ben Wallace. While Rodman wasn't a gifted offensive player or anything, he shot about 50 points better for his career, and about 15 percent better at the line. Wallace's peak was also smaller, basically six years in Detroit, vs. seven to 10 good years for Rodman, depending on how you sliced it. (I will say though, the comparison is closer than I thought it would be when it was first suggested - Wallace put up some impressive rate stats for steals and blocks too.)

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How did Miller change the game?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted