1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a musical act you hated as a teen....and like now?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 13, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reading the GnR thread got me to wondering the above question.

My answer, perhaps sadly, is no.

I hated Van Halen. I hated Prince. I hated Metallica. And I still do.

But maybe your musical tastes have matured more than mine?
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I find myself appreciating a lot more pop now. I used to be a dork who hated accessibility. For instance, "Sweet Child of Mine" has replaced "Mr. Brownstone" as my favorite song on Appetite For Destruction.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was in high school at the time it was cool to hate Michael Jackson (well after Thriller, around Bad). I rather enjoy it now.
  4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

Not necessarily a musical act, per se, but I HATED country music when I was younger. Now, I'd prefer to listen to old country music than just about anything.

I think it's something about rejecting it because that's what my parents listened to.
  5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah I'm finding I like more and more of the music my parents listened to when I was growing up, like Harry Belafonte.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Prince. My sister and I both used to mock the Purple Rain album. She would play the kazoo in place of the organ and I would say a goofy version of the spoken intro to "Let's Go Crazy." I also mocked "Raspberry Beret" for anyone who would listen.

Then I married a huge Prince fan ... and went with her to see Prince in concert in the 1990s. He kicked ass live, played tons of his older, pre-Purple Rain stuff and wailed on the guitar throughout a long encore.

I was converted.
  7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

When I was in my college years (mid-70s), I hated Cheap Trick. But over the years I've gained some respect for their simplicity and sense of humor. Too many rockers take themselves entirely too seriously, but Cheap Trick always seemed to just be out there to have fun.
  8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One of my all-time favorite guitar solos and live covers. Prince may be the most talented musician ever, even if his music isn't all for everyone.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great stuff, Vers. And those were no slouches Prince was playing with, either.

At the show I referred to, Prince came out, played one of his songs (can't remember which one), then announced the rest of the encore would be a tribute to Carlos Santana. Then he and his band ripped through quite a few Santana classics, and Prince just nailed all the solos.
  10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Even without Prince's solo, that video's worth watching for Steve Winwood's vinegar strokes.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The telling thing about that video is that Dhani Harrison is standing there just obviously grooving on it.
  12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

As Prince does his fall-back thing, Harrison is downright giddy.
Draft saved Draft deleted