1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a more lunatic fan base than Kentucky's?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ben, I agree with probably 99 percent of your points on the board. Not this one.

Some Chapel Hill supporters are flat-out lunatics. That's not to say some so-called Duke aren't, but the folks in Baby Blue can be almost as unbearable as Kentucky supporters.

Almost.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The only time I ever heard John Wooden say anything negative about anything, he was talking about expectations of fans ... and the unrealistic expectations of UCLA fans.
    UCLA won 9 championships in 10 years, including 7 in a row from 1967-73. The Bruins did not win in 1974. But won again in 1975. After the game, he was approached by a big booster guy, who said, "Congratulations coach. It's great to win again after you let us down last year."

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Embarrassing moment No. 135 for me. In that 1974-75 season, Wooden's last as coach, I was at Notre Dame when they beat UCLA at home (one year after the 88-win streak was stopped). After the game (I was working on press row), I saw Wooden standing alone, went up to him, and said, "Coach Wooden, I know it's tough to lose this game and that it's an uphill climb to to win it all this year. Too bad." Or something like that. Wooden: "Young man, this is January. I still believe we have a very good chance at winning the national title." And, of course, they did.

Oops.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ohio State trumps Eagles, but drops into the 5 hole...

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Indifferent, yes, lunatic, nope.

As someone who got his BA and is working on a MA at said school, no way. People here don't give a shit anymore.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Huh?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clutch show us your work. How do Yankee fans make that list over say Red Sox Nation? How does North Carolina make the list over Duke or 'Cuse?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That Sam Gilbert, what a card.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Wisconsin deserves a spot on the football list.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tennessee deserves a spot over Aubie...

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry but these supplemental lists are silly.

For obsessive/compulsive stab-you-in-the-eye lunacy, there's Kentucky basketball; Alabama football a pretty distant second; then everything else.

I'd rather be locked in a room with 1000 armed Iggles fans all day every day and twice on Sunday before I'd sit on a diner stool next to a Kentucky basketball fan for the length of time it takes to swallow my orange juice.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Why? They're enthusiastic, but not delusional.
    The fact they love their Budweiser is a strike
    against them, but not an indictment-worthy offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted