1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a more lunatic fan base than Kentucky's?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 25, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm trying to find some old Chuck Culpepper columns from when he was in Lexington writing about Hazel, but I'm striking out.

Here's Gwen Knapp's outsider take from 1998.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/e/a/1998/03/28/SPORTS5484.dtl&hw=fanning&sn=321&sc=288

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yup. If he doesn't win the national title this year, there might be rioting.

These are the people who have sold their souls for another national championship. They are ENTITLED to it, you see! I love how they accuse Shaughnessy of being elitist when they're the one who think that other teams should just give them the championship because they're KENTUCKY.

3. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

I covered Kentucky for four seasons and have covered the SEC for 26 years. Kentucky basketball and Alabama football fans are tied for first.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

With all due respect -- the first column was neither original nor did it break any new ground and frankly was just another tired "the little guys do it right while the big guys all cheat and employ thugs....." potshot and yes, while I don't think Dan Shanaughwhateverthefuckthespellingis is racist, this column certainly has a racist overtone.

I think my opinions of how Kentucky treated Tubby have been well documented and those fans are delusional - but I don't think they are that far out of line for objecting to a guy who refers to their program using terms like "bags of cash..."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point, Zag. He should have said "large envelopes of cash."

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sent via Emery Air Freight.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's also not a coincidence that the two schools everyone keeps mentioning have the highest paid football coach and the highest paid hoops coach.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For football, I would argue it goes something like this...

1. Alabama
    2. Florida
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Texas
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Ohio State
    7. Michigan
    8. LSU
    9. Auburn
    10. Nebraska

For hoops, I would say...

1. Kentucky
    2. Indiana
    3. Duke
    4. Louisville
    5. North Carolina
    6. Kansas
    7. UCLA
    8. Illinois
    9. Syracuse
    10. UNLV

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Notre Dame football's bandwagon has waned over the past 20 years. And no, they were not delusional. They wanted to root for a winner, IMHO.

10. Nope.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Notre Dame fans who believed Charlie would turn it around once he got rid of Ty's players -- and there were a hell of a lot of them as recently as one year ago when they were talking BCS bid -- were as delusional as they come.

And as the thread starter, I am embarrassed that I failed to include Alabama. So it's Kentucky hoops, Alabama football and cyclists of any stripe.

12. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

UK fans are nuts for their team, no question, but they're big-hearted sonsofguns, too. Check what they did for Haiti, and hell, just today, one UK fan came to my Twitter account and vowed to donate his proceeds from work on Friday (he's a dentist), win or lose, and will up it by $250 if UK wins by 15 or more. And then other UK fans saw it and now THEY'RE donating money, all to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Anyway, thought it was germane info here. I could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted