1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a more lunatic fan base than Kentucky's?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 25, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Pencil Dick is completely, 100 percent correct.

Kentucky basketball and Alabama football

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In basketball? No... It's Kentucky by a mile. I don't think Kansas, Carolina, Indiana, Duke, Louisville are even close.

In football it's probably Alabama and Florida as No. 1 and No. 2 as to which school's fans are the biggest lunatics.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Notre Dame football? Or am I 20 years too late?

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Agree with the others. Kentucky hoops, Bama football.

5. Mizzougrad96

One of my favorite stories I've ever done was during Tubby's first year at UK and I was covering the Final Four for a paper where college basketball was for the most part and afterthought.

I talked to (not interviewed) Tipton and a couple of the other beat writers about how crazy the fan base was and after they beat Duke in the Elite Eight I was told to check out the UK fanboard, which one would have thought would have been giddy after making the Final Four. This was when fanboards were in their absolute infancy and half the threads were about how much they hated Tubby and how they wanted him fired.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure Notre Dame football cracks the top five anymore.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Coach Cal is going to be surprised how fast some of the starry-eyed fans will turn on him, given half a chance.

8. Mizzougrad96

I remember talking to a longtime college beat writer who was explaining how winning a title bought a coach a decade of goodwill from the fan base. He was talking about Phil Fulmer at the time, but he said, the two exceptions were Alabama football and Kentucky hoops.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Nothing like asking the resident Briars, if their state was so damn great, why did they have to move north to find a job.

One of the best lines I ever heard; You could drop an A-bomb on the entire state of Kentucky and you might have enough teeth to make out one dental record.

Of course, dropping Boston and Kentucky fans into a pit with a loaded .45 and some broken pool cues would be the greatest pay-per-view ever.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fulmer was good for about five years and then the wolves started circling harder.

Saban is fine at Bama as long as he wins another championship nine months from now.

Cal will find out the beloved UK fans will turn on him sooner than he thinks.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes – Barack Obama. (Ducks.)

On point, though, I'd say it's Alabama football and Kentucky basketball in a dead heat right now.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

As stated early, I'd go with ky hoops and bama football, but it just occurred to me that LSU football fans take a backseat to nobody when it comes to insanity.

Remember covering a night game there maybe 15-20 years ago. They lost, and on their own radio network's post-game call-in show, the host and callers were speculating on how much it would cost to hire a hitman to whack the coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted