1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a more lunatic fan base than Kentucky's?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

Rondo played for three years in Louisville before transferring to Oak Hill.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Thanks for another solid answer, Crash. And, btw, didn't mean to bash your state (well, maybe a little), but was genuinely curious as to why the number of players from ky has so fallen off the map the last decade. It's not like Kentuckians have lost interest in basketball, they seem every bit as obsessed as ever.

Also, I like the stat about more PGAers than NBAers, really flies in the face of stereotypes about the state.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

No problem. And the interest in basketball definitely hasn't waned. Like I said, there were 15,000 people at the state title game last weekend. That number may be a little inflated, since it was the little country school that could playing against one of the traditional big city powerhouses, but it's still a ton of people. And obviously, interest in UK (or Louisville) basketball isn't going down.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great nugget about PGA Tour vs. NBA Kentuckians. Who are all of them? Kenny Perry and... ?

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

Apparently, there are four Kentuckians on the Tour now.

Kenny Perry, Elizabethtown
    Steve Flesch, Covington
    J.B. Holmes, Campbellsville
    Josh Teater, Lexington

The two Olympians were Elaine Breeden (swimmer) and Tyson Gay, both from Lexington.

As far as I know, Rajon Rondo is the only native Kentuckian in the NBA. O.J. Mayo went to school in Kentucky, but he's from West Virginia, I believe.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Mayo went to an Eastern Kentucky school for a year, I believe, when he was in middle school. He then transferred to Oak Hill (or maybe I'm wrong here) and finished his prep career.

Kentucky has also produced several MLB players. Active players: Austin Kearns, Mark Reynolds, Jeremy Sowers, Corey Hart, Jon Rauch, Dan Uggla and Brandon Webb.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

Mayo was all over the place. I think he played two years at Rose Hill in Ashland before moving to Cincy. He eventually landed in Huntington.

8. mb

mb Active Member

End of thread?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Crimson-Tide-fans-welcome-their-new-son-Crimson?urn=ncaaf,231447

It's stamped yesterday, though I suppose that could be an April Fool's fake, too.

9. rube

rube Active Member

Where in God's name are they getting the nickname 'Ty' from a kid named Crimson Tide Redd.

Fail on all counts.

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

While I appreciate all the mentions, I offer up Texas A&M for pure lunacy. There are Aggie jokes for a reason. It isn't a thing that permeates any particular sport or even has anything to do with winning. It just exists. Texas A&M is a school with a fight song that mentions its biggest rival. The fans will argue with you until you leave that there are actually TWO flagship university schools in the state. If I hadn't been gone from Texas for more than a decade, I could remember more. I'll close with this link, as much as I can't stand Jim Rome:

http://mattceni.com/2009/03/21/the-rome-rant/

Draft saved Draft deleted