1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a more lunatic fan base than Kentucky's?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 25, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have always thought the answer to that question was no. This furor over Shaughnessy's column seals it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2010/03/25/wildcat_strike_incited/?page=full

How dare he have the nerve to question the ethics of a man whose only two Final Four appearances have been vacated!

Oklahoma comes close in my mind, Notre Dame of course, USC gets very defensive about the mentions of cheating, and I'm sure you can find evidence from Florida these days ... but for batshit craziness they're all the JV compared to Kentucky basketball.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This . . .

The themes were repetitive and highly unoriginal. Most of them used the words “racist’’ and “elitist’’ — usually framed as “Your a racist’’ or “Your an elitist.’’

People. It’s “you’re’’ a racist. Not “your.’’

Whoops. There I go, being elitist again.

. . . Was better than the original column. I laughed.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The line from the B.C. AD saying there are fewer operations in KY hospitals on game days because fans don't want to be under anethesia and miss the game...amazing.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know that as a fact, but it sure as shit wouldn't surprise me. The malls are empty during UK games, as are grocery stores, etc.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Skip the anesthesia, Doc. The Cats are on today, and I can get me some Oxycontin from Billy Jeff next door.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Really? The guy who thinks the Red Sox are cursed and who writes for the newspaper that coined the term "Red Sox Nation" thinks Kentucky fans are nuts?

What next, Jose Canseco writing a couple books about what a bunch of jerks everyone in baseball is for using steroids?

8. bob

bob Member

That guy doesn't think the Red Sox are cursed, but he was perceptive enough to use that ludicrous notion to his advantage. And it was he who coined the term "Red Sox Nation," not his employer. Shaughnessy might be a lightning rod for many fans (and writers, apparently), but he was very innovative. (I say "was" because I do think he's gotten a bit stale).

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The answer to the question in your subject line is a resounding 'Yes'

University of Alabama football.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

His coworker coined it.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I think you're right: The original column was pretty pedestrian and the follow-up not much better. There are so many funnier stories about Wildcat fans. He should have talked to some UK beat writers.

And no, there isn't a more lunatic fan base than Kentucky's. Alabama football is close but Alabama has to share with Auburn so it can't equal an entire state's loyalty.

I once had to endure a vision of hell no one should: being on a plane split between UK basketball fans and Notre Dame football fans. So I know of what I speak.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What do you expect when a team has more championships than most of its fans have teeth?

Draft saved Draft deleted