1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a double standard for Josh Duggar and Lena Dunham?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who believes Rolling Stone and Mattress Girl?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I can't believe President Clinton was ever given a chance to give his side of the story in all these tales. Talk about re-victimization! [/crossthread]

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think someone might be confusing things a bit.

The argument in the Rolling Stone argument was that the default position should be to give enough credibility to the accuser that a proper investigation would take place. Not the slut shaming or victim blaming that currently happens all too often.

That's not the same as an investigation taking place and being deemed not credible. There's a good argument to be made that Broaddrick was silenced and if she reported it sooner, it would've been more strenuously investigated considering the power dynamic of accusing an already-second-term president, but what YF is doing here is not that.

And, double bonus, it's not the same thing as two people who admitted to criminal sexual misconduct and are now crying victim.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How does it not?

There's always outrage about sexual predators. There's extreme outrage when the sexual predator is a person who uses his "privilege" to exert dominance over women and/or children.

So, if we're going to obsess over Josh Duggar, or Bill Cosby, or UVa Frat Bros, how do we pretend that Bill Clinton is not a sexual predator?

How do we continue to indulge him?

Why do we laugh of his association with convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein? Why do we not assume the worst when he visits Epstein's "Orgy Island" or flies around with Ron Burkle on "Air Fuck One"?

I would love for just one honest lefty -- maybe a lefty who's come down on "rape culture" or on Bill Cosby or on Josh Duggar -- to come out and say that they think Bill Clinton is a sexual predator.

Does even one lefty believe this? One?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people -- including Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, who invited her to the State of the Union as her guest -- still believe Mattress Girl.

And, for many people, it wasn't the lack of evidence against the Frat Bros that caused them to not believe the Rolling Stone story. A million reasons were given for why there might be a lack of evidence, and/or even some holes in her story.

It was only when the story was proven to be false that that belief gradually eroded.

But the claims against Bill Clinton? Dismissed out of hand, by many of the same people.

Why?

Does Cran believe Bill Clinton never sexually assaulted a woman? How about Jay Farrar? Or MC?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe it's possible.

See above for my rationale as to why the situations are not analogous, and why it's not as simple as "because liberals."

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When you respond to him, he wins.

A Lena Dunham-Josh Duggar thread is now about Bill Clinton.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep

It's the SOP for SJ.com.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also known as Clinton Syndrome.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because some of his alleged victims weren't credible.

Katherine Willey made 27 contacts with him after the alleged incident. She never mentioned it in those contacts and was friendly in them. She also lied to the FBI in the investigation.

Juanita Broaddrick waited 20 years before making her claim public, and couldn't remember the year she said it happened.

Monica? Consensual

Gennifer? Consensual

Paula Jones? Maybe she might have had a case, even though it had originally been dismissed. But she didn't help her credibility by having conservative lawyers.

Hence, dismissed out of hand.

The guy likes sex, even if it's not with his wife. Not a sin in the Democratic world, which believes in live and let live, as long as nobody is harmed and the person doing it isn't lecturing others on how to live.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Monica is the most problematic for me. Not only was he her boss, she was an intern, which is doubly out of bounds. I can tell you if my boss was caught getting a BJ from an intern in his office, he'd be out on his ass before he could ask what the definition of "is" is.

This hits especially close to home for me because my daughter is in Washington right now serving as an intern to a congressman. If I found out he had abused his power and done to her what Clinton did to Monica, I'd want his head on a fucking platter.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All that's missing is a pic of the blue dress.

#RIPBoom

Draft saved Draft deleted