1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a double standard for Josh Duggar and Lena Dunham?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kill 'em all.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Might a distinction be that one represented himself as pious and morally superior but not the other?

Baron Scicluna and Smallpotatoes like this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who's Lena Dunham?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know that we live in a non-judgmental world, but can we agree that pedophilia is equally wrong whether or not the offender actually articulates it? Are people outraged by his act or his hypocrisy? If the former, then the answer is clearly yes. If the latter then the hand-wringing and shouting is overdone - we've seen hypocrisy before.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. They should both rot in hell. Or get shanked in prison.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would think whatever double standard exists among nutjobs applies in both directions -- you won't find a lot of criticism of Dunham among the deep-thinking post-modern feminists of the world.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Typo?

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Looking up the details in both cases, Josh Duggar was 15 at the time of his alleged misconduct and Lena Dunham was 7 at the time of hers. So it seems he was more than a little further along developmentally, which should make him significantly more culpable. It's a lot easier to chalk it up to curiosity at 7 than it is at 15.

But I'll also go with what MisterCreosote says about both of them.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dunham did it when she was a teenager, too, IIRC. Fuck her.

And fuck anyone who thinks that somehow absolves Duggar.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure that an adult Josh Duggar is further along developmentally than a 7-year-old Lena Dunham.

Lena is not my cup of tea, but she's smart. Josh looks like not all the neurons are firing.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Innate cognitive intelligence has little relationship to emotional development or judgment.

Draft saved Draft deleted