1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a benefit to working at a PM daily?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

I write at a PM daily now and we don't work split shifts.

We're usually in between 4:30 and 5:30pm. We write our stories and have them filed between 11 and midnight. Then, we're out the door for the night.

We have 4 full-timers and an agate guy. Schedule is great. But our editor likes to have stuff in by 11:30 so he can get home earlier. So, we don't really have much extra deadline time.

The copy editor/layout guy comes in at 11:30pm and works until the morning. But the rest of us work the "2nd shift", so to speak.

I'll also agree that it teaches you to look for fresh angles, and add that we don't get much a chance to break much sports news with the AM paper right down the street.

2. I love my PM paper.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I thought working at a PM was going to be tough, but now it's just like clockwork. We have split shifts, but being the layout guy I don't have to worry about that too much any more. I have covered games in the last month, but it wasn't hard to cover the games, go to bed and get up the next morning at 6 to write and layout. Then I just go home and get back in bed.

Actually, I think I'm almost too comfortable here.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

At my old paper, we were PM on weekdays and AM on weekends.

I loved it during the week, but the Friday night deadlines were tough, since I was used to having a lot more time to file. Twenty minutes makes a huge difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted