1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the wristwatch obsolete?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, May 4, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

When the last Boomer has shuffled off, I wonder if wristwatches will endure.
    Will they persist as "timeless" (sorry) fashion accessories?
    Since I always have my phone with me, I have all but ceased wearing a wristwatch.
    Even owning two very nice ones.
    I took a look around the other day and saw few young people wearing one.

2. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Re: Is the wristwatch dead?

It should have died decades ago.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It may depend on which next generation device wins out: Google Glass or the watches that are small smartphones.

It'd be funny if in the future non-functional watches were made, making them merely ornamental like a necktie.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think the high-end watch market is safe since they're still big status symbols. Just because the 20-year-olds aren't into watches today doesn't mean they won't wear an expensive one after they make good money. But I wouldn't want to be in the cheap watch biz with everyone having a phone.

I've worn my great-grandfather's watch for 15 years and feel naked without it. Yet I look at my phone first-thing in the morning for the time and use it as an alarm.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not far away?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Re: Is the wristwatch dead?

My 11-year-old asked for a one earlier this year. He got it yesterday.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The very position of the wrist is ergonomic.
    It's an ideal place to glance quickly.
    I need to think about this some more, but things like Google Glass might induce fatigue.
    Glasses are light but the placement on the ears and nose (I feel) can generate fatigue.
    I don't wear glasses normally, but do use things such as safety glasses.
    Reaching for things around the waist or in a pocket (such as a cell) seems to require more effort.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Not as long as there is air in my lungs. I feel completely lost without my watch. I've been known to accidentally leave the house without my wallet or keys, but I've never forgotten to put on my watch. I've heard all the arguments for phones serving as time pieces, but they just aren't convenient. You can't catch a quick glance at your phone to check the time. I've even tried pocket watches, thinking it would be a good idea, but it just didn't cut it for me.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's dead.

One thing I love about cell phones is you never have a debate anymore about what time it really is.

You're late.

I'm not. Your watch is wrong.

My watch is correct.

No it isn't.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My brother laughs at me for wearing one, but I can't live without it. I used to collect them, but I got this cool compass/day/date one prior to Peace Corps and since I'm a global nomad now, that's the only one I carry with me.

My boss has the identical model. Many people I work with wear them. Part of that is because we are not allowed to use smart phones in the office.

Also, my office-assigned cell phone is not the kind that automatically sets itself. I don't have a smart phone.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I have a Casio G Shock. Syncs to the atomic clock.

12. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

I will never never never ever be without a watch. I buy a cheapo Timex Ironman once or twice a year, use it until I can't stand the smell of it anymore (I wear it while running, and I run a LOT), then spend $20 on a new one at Target. I'm in my mid-40s, have been married (shockingly to the same woman!) for 25 years and don't give a crap about all the new-fangled gadgets. I have a smart phone, but I tend to use it as a phone, not a be-all end-all device that I can't live without. I will text with my kids, but that's about it. I couldn't fathom having to find my phone just to see what time it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted