1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the use of "www." necessary anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, May 15, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I hear it on radio and see it in print/TV still...but I can't think of the last time I typed in "www." to get to a website.
    At least he have gotten rid of the "http://" (I still remember announcing full addresses on college radio in the 90s).

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Yes, because some websites aren't www.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You just contradicted yourself. Try again.
    The question posed: Is the use of "www." necessary anymore?
    Now look at your answer and tell me how it's helpful.

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Some websites don't work unless you type in www.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Hey, someone might still be using Netscape 5 out there. I think it made you enter the full http address to connect to any website.

6. Yes, it is. The URL for the employment website at the local university comes up with the 401 - Not Found error if "www" is left out. IT there didn't configure the DNS servers correctly, but, it's still an issue.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As others have stated, yes it is still necessary.... not all websites are www and as CO said not all websites are configured to work unless the www is there.

On a separate note, CO -- do you know my wife? She calls me Captain Obvious all the time.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It takes longer to say "double-U double-U double-U" than it does to say "Worldwide Web."

So, I just make an odd sort of whirring sound if I'm asked to read www out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted