1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the text message an appropriate way to set up an interview?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zebracoy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Perhaps I will be totally ripped for this, but I have often used text and Facebook to setup interviews with high school athletes. Most of the time it is with an athlete who at least will know my face or name because I have covered their teams a few times.
    I have never had any complaints about it and in fact in my experience I usually get a quicker response back via Facebook. I have called a kid numerous times before and left voice mails only to have never gotten a response. But as soon as I send a Facebook message it seems that I usually have a response within the hour.
    However, I am also sure it works differently at every shop and corresponds to the number of schools in your coverage area.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have just started to communicate with text message and facebook. I see no problem so far, but this is wth people we have had contact with before. I would still probably call someone first just to check if texting or FBing is OK in the future

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Pitching a tent are you?

4. spikechiquet

I always pitch a tent after about 6 beers...

5. I'm young, and people my age certainly prefer them to voicemails. (As older people get familiar with them, I think they'll prefer them to voicemails too.) I call the cell first; if I have to leave a message, I'll just text instead. That way they get the message in five seconds of reading instead of having to enter a password, press a bunch of keys and listen to a whole message.

6. spikechiquet

Of course, then you get the ancients that don't "get it" (saw this today and loved the lack of knowledge of computers or the interwebs).

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Been working on a story about a local MMA fighter. Got his number and called him, left him a message. About a minute later I get a text message from him. From then on, I have set up all interviews and photo shoots with him via text message and have had no problem.

I think it depends on who you are working with. Why not even ask the person? I don't think it is unreasonable to ask, "Is it easier to reach you via text or should I just leave a voicemail?"

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm a fan of the e-mail approach.

But, yes, I've set up e-mails through texts when told that it was the preferred communication for someone.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I can't think of many inappropriate ways to set up an interview. Whatever works, man.

As long you're being honest about who you are and that the interview is for publication, I don't see why it matters the medium you chose to set it up.

10. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Whenever I need a quick word with him, the AD at the school I cover actually prefers I text him in case he's in a meeting, and he'll text back that he's busy, or if he's not busy, he'll call. Less intrusive that way.

And I have gotten a quote via Facebook before, on a breaking story when I didn't have the player's number. (You don't have to be their FB friend to message them.)

All this technology we've got handy, I say use whatever you have to use.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Technically, what is the difference between an email and a text? I get both instantly on my phone. But email seems less intrusive if I don't know the person.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'd been trying to get ahold of a recent area graduate for a quick, short story, but he never returned my voicemail messages. His dad said to send him a text and he'd call me as soon as he could. I did, then he did.
    I prefer the call over the text, but it led to me talking to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted