1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the text message an appropriate way to set up an interview?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zebracoy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

There's no doubt the text message has become close to, if not already, a standard method of communication in this day and age.

But I've recently noticed that a lot of times, it's become the preferred means of many people. I've had SIDs tell me to text them requests or other notes, communicated regularly with coaches for quick hits of information by text message and coordinated coverage with co-workers at major events with a quick text.

That being said, if you're meeting someone for the first time, or trying to arrange a phone interview, is doing so via text message a reasonable solution?

I still have hesitation in sending one to someone I don't know because it seems too casual - not to mention the person might not have a phone plan that readily receives them. I'd rather make a phone call to the person first, then maybe rely on e-mail, and a text message isn't an option.

However, I was talking to another major college beat writer lately who said he texts a lot of the prospects the school is recruiting to set up phone interviews. This may be different because they're kids, and this is a form of communication they rely on. I know there's also been talk about reaching out to people via Facebook, which is also something I don't know is acceptable to do.

I know it's almost a matter of "get the story via any means necessary," but there are also standards. Is there any kind of consensus here?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you can text someone, you obviously have their number. Why not just call them and remove all doubt?

Also, I'd be surprised if any SID or young athlete doesn't have a plan that includes texts.

3. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I've texted someone I don't know before to set up a phone interview, but that was after he told me in a Facebook message to do so.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Appropriate only to set up booty calls.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's exactly what I've always thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

I would call if it's a first-time interview. That being said, text messages are wonderful. We use them in our preps coverage. Instead of phoning in games, several of our local prep coaches will text their results to my phone. Whoever is keying in boxes and writing the roundups takes my phone, so they don't have to deal with phone calls from longwinded coaches and sloppy freehand. This has saved us a lot of time on busy prep nights.

7. spud

spud Member

I prefer smoke signals.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Depends on the interviewee - if it's a first-timer, like SS said, do it by phone. But I've found that if it's with someone I have established a professional working relationship with, setting up interviews - as well as some simple follow-up questions I might have - I can do it by text.

9. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Building off of cougargirl's post...

If you have an established relationship with someone, whether it's a coach or player or administrator, I think any means of communication is appropriate, whether it's Facebook or texting or something else. But for an initial contact, go through the proper channels, especially for preps. If you want to follow up on a potential recruit, get the information from the school, and if in talking to the kid, he wants to give you his personal contact information to follow up, then fine.

Always go through the proper channels in setting up initial interviews. You can do whatever you need to after that, but it makes things a lot smoother if you're professional about the initial contact.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

tlk 2 me?...lolz

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm old school. I call first, try to do the interview face to face, especially if it's someone i'm not familiar with. But I don't see anything wrong with texting a request. Same as emailing. You use whatever means of communication available.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's better than banging on her door at 2 a.m.

Man, the cops have no sense of humor at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted