1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the state of Florida's cfb dominance over?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Nov 25, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Hondo,
    A team that's 11-1 and wants to be included in national championship discussions needs a resume that includes more than one quality win (against LSU) and a bunch of skin-of-its-teeth victories. If the Gators beat Arkansas, they deserve their BCS bowl game. But don't tell me that beating Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and FSU this year is anything special. It ain't.

As for being bitter, I couldn't care less about Florida other than the fact I have some time on my hands today and felt like posting about something other than ice cream and strike breaking.

And Columbo, do you just have a bunch of hats you pick words out of to make your posts. Hey, look, I picked 'fucking' out of the swear hat, 'delirious' out of the adjective hat and 'crybaby' out of the noun hat. Hmmm, how do I put those together? Not a bad effort, but I think a better construction would have been "Crybaby, fucking delirious." The way the WaPo would have done it.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Dear ACC,

That's what we thought.

--The SEC

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

FSU beat Rice, Duke, Troy, Western Michigan, UM and Virginia. Not exactly USC, ND and Michigan.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

FSU's problem can be summed up in two words: Jeff Bowden.

During his tenure as offensive coordinator, the Seminole offense was consistently unprepared physically and mentally. The game plans were pathetic and the front blocking schemes were a joke. The change at O.C. will go a long way towards restoring football equilibrium in Tallahassee.

As for Miami, fuckabunchaDaU.

5. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

SOUTH FLORIDA BITCHES!!!! :)

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

depends on your definition of dominance.

if you mean 18 of 23 seasons (1983–2005) with either Miami, FSU or UF finishing in the Top 3 ... or Miami being Top 3 in 11 of those 23 seasons ... or FSU being Top 4 in the coaches' poll for 14 consecutive seasons from 1987-2000 ... or UF being Top 7 nine of 11 times from 1991-2001, then, yes. i think that's over.

but if you mean near-annual Top 10 rankings for the Big 3, then, no. i don't think that's necessarily over.

with the state's built-in recruiting advantage - none but california and texas are comparable - the only thing that can screw it up is the wrong coach. (see: Zook; Coker; Bowden, Jeff).

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

And Bama beat Hawaii (decent win), Duke (winless), Florida Int'l (winless), Louisiana-Monroe (2 wins), Ole Miss (4 wins) and Vanderbilt (4 wins).

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pallister can twist this any way he wants, but any season, from about 1950 to now, that includes a team beating Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida State, and has an 11-1 record, is pretty damn good. Maybe not good enough to earn a spot against Ohio State this year, but I don't think Florida fans need to put bags over their heads.

9. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Don't doubt Papa Bowden's ability to screw this one up. If FSU was smart (which it is not), they would hire a big-time offensive coach with the understanding that he would succeed Bowden in 2-3 years.

Instead Papa will continue to wage a staredown with Paterno on which will finish with the win record and watch the program he built descend into an average ACC team.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Those of us in the Upper 49 can only hope so, so the fawning over Florida football ends.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've been following Papa Bowden a couple more years than you, methinks. He just wants a chance to prove he can turn the program around (more than likely, he will), then hand it off to somebody from the family. My money's on his son Terry.

12. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

I don't doubt he wants to turn things around. I do doubt his ability to do so.

If you have been following Bowden as long as you say, you will know he has not been great a great gameday coach for almost 20 years. He has been great getting talent into the program and beating inferior opposition. Ever since the early Miami losses, however, he has not shown much heart. And don't get me start on clock management.

As for Terry, he would be an excellent choice to bring in now. If it is another 3-4 years before he leaves, that would be 10 years out of coaching. Not sure you can hand the reins to him at that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted