1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Shining Stanley Kubrick's secret admission he faked the moon landing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That's mostly why I posted it. It was fun to think about. You have to wonder what goes on in the head of someone like Kubrick. His mad genius makes people project all kinds of crazy theories into stuff, but still. He had to have SOME reason for the choices he made.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The theory about the carpet's similarity to the Cape Canaveral launch pad cracked me up. In the late 70s, you walk into any store and buy innumerable versions of that carpet.

Also, if Kubrick was trying to wrap the mystery of the fake moon landings in a mystery wrapped up in enigma wrapped up in a burrito, why would he be so overt as to have Danny wear an Apollo 11 sweater?

He leaves a lot of the rest of The Shining untold. If Jack Torrance was trying to hide the truth from Wendy, aka Christiana Kubrick, why does he try to kill her when we know in real life they stayed together after the moon landing? (And in fact, were together until Kubrick died)

And why does his "secret" drive the pragmatic, driven Kubrick (represented by the Torrance character) to die in pursuit of the naive, innocent Kubrick (represented by Danny's character) when it would be the pragmatic, driven Kubrick that would be the one motivated to tell the story of the fake moon landing in the form of a crazy-ass riddle hidden within an adaptation of a horror novel in the first place?

And how could he not explain the greatest mystery of all? Why is Jack Torrance in the 1921 photo of the Outlook in the last scene of the movie? Is this supposed to represent a more innocent time for America, WHICH IS THE OVERLOOK HOTEL!

But as you mentioned, and as I saw, the conspiracist's psychosis is creative as hell.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a "Hunger Games"-style apologist: There is context for it in the novel.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

yeah, in the book, blow job bear (aka barf) appears in one of Jack's bar scenes where he imagines/sees ghosts from a masquerade party. Barf apparently had a dalliance with the hotel's owners over the winter and showed up at the hotel looking for action. The owner instead humiliates by making him dress as a dog for the party and making him do tricks (dog ticks, not blowjob tricks) for the guests.

Barf shows up several times at the end to taunt Danny.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I read this the other day and watched most of the video. It's clearly crazy, but also fascinating.

I wanted to ask, though, what do people think Kubrick's version is actually about? I've always been fond of the Native American theory, but know there are a ton out there.

Also, too, I fell into a total wikihole recently with another conspiracy theory. If you like that sort of thing, look up 13th Amendment or Titles of Nobility Amendment. Short version is there are people out there who earnestly believe no law passed since 1810 is Constitutional.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

These folks believe, specifically, that the titles of nobility amendment was ratified. (It wasn't, but there was some confusion as to this, and it was printed in some copies of the Constitution). So far, this isn't nutty. Or, super nutty.

That proposed amendment read:

If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive or retain, any title of nobility or honour, or shall, without the consent of Congress, accept and retain any present, pension, office or emolument of any kind whatever, from any emperor, king, prince or foreign power, such person shall cease to be a citizen of the United States, and shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them, or either of them

So it had a really specific purpose at the time, yadda yadda. Where it gets crazy is there are people who say that "title" applies to "esquire". Meaning lawyers are not citizens. And so, basically, every law that has been passed or helped to be passed by lawyers since then (read: all of them) is null and void.

They then get even crazier about how to govern ourselves.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

We've got a guy here who is facing three murder charges who is part of the "sovereign citizen" lunacy. He's the classic dipshit who thinks he is a genius.

He wants to represent himself in court but the judge denied it, because the guy insists he never entered into a contract with the judge and therefore the judge has no jurisdiction.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I preferred Eyes Wide Shut.

Honestly, all the symbolism and imagery in movies is totally lost on me. Hotels representing America, what colors people are wearing, what and where something is placed on a desk, a kid wearing a sweatshirt and standing up ... none of that ever connects with me. When it's pointed out, I say "Oh yeah, I get it" but picking it out on my own is impossible. I guess because my brain works pretty straight forward, I never get hidden meanings. There is no way in 100 years that I would have gotten a kid wearing a NASA sweatshirt standing up represents a rocket launch. It doesn't have to be this or any Kubrick movie. My thought process doesn't get hidden meaning.

Film and philosophy school would have been a waste of time for me!

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can't go into deep detail because I'm at a game, but I think nearly every Kubrick film is about dehumanization, including The Shining.

I've seen most of them. Somehow haven't seen Lolita and have only seen about half of Barry Lyndon, so I don't know how they fit into the dehumanization motif.

I'll get my nerd cap out when I get back to my hotel and explain why this is.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Same here. Word for word. TJ Eckleburg is just a billboard. The light at the end of the pier is just a green light. Etc. Etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted