1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The Shining Stanley Kubrick's secret admission he faked the moon landing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I do enjoy hearing them. I'd never heard this one until Klosterman wrote about it the other day, talking about a new documentary -- Room 237 -- that examines The Shining from five different critical viewpoints, looking for hidden meaning.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8508523/documentary-year

Anyway, one of the theories in the film is about the clues Kubrick left in The Shining as an admission that he faked the moon landing. The theory of faking the moon landing is totally batshit nuts and I don't for a second believe the U.S. government could ever pull such a thing off and keep it a secret all these years, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch the following YouTube club (Warning: It's 30 mins long) which goes into fascinating detail about all the hidden meaning in the film, and why it's Kubrick's "confession."

http://youtu.be/nMEq6IjgR04

Did Kubrick maybe believe he faked the moon landing? Was he just fucking with people?

I doubt very many of you will watch the full clip, but those who do, I suspect may of you will not be able to stop. It's really some excellent conspiracy theory connect-the-dots craziness. I was kind of rolling my eyes throughout the first 10 minutes until the shot of Danny standing up with his Apollo 11 sweater on, symbolizing the launch. Then I was like "Whoa. Damn."

Anyway, it's an entertaining -- if obviously bullshit -- theory. Kind of like playing Dark Side of the Moon and syncing it to The Wizard of Oz.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems perfectly reasonable that Kubrick, director of a landmark space movie, placed some references to the lunar landing into the movie, particularly the obvious one - Danny's sweater.

It seems like an enormous leap to take the next step, and there's no evidence to support it, from what I watched.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DD,

Someone posted this somewhere else (movie thread?) and I started watching that Youtube clip. I got to the 12 minute mark before I had to go to work. I didn't want to turn it off, even if I did get really tired of the guy saying "The hotel is AMERICA."

I'll finish it tonight. I do think it's insane, but it's intriguing to watch from that angle. Plus, his clip included the scary blowjob bear, so I'm in.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I read all of the posts in a thoughtful manner, but "blowjob bear" is the only thing I'm taking away from this thread.

I have no idea what it is, but I'm heating up my Internet and cooling off my tea in preparation for a long night of Googling.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

HOLY FUCK, DO NOT GOOGLE "BLOW JOB BEAR."

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl

The randomness is what makes it awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmOoekbK6YI

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That photo wasn't actually included among the pictures that first popped up when I Googled "blow job bear," but I do not remember that scene. Of course, I was probably 11 or 12 when I last watched "The Shining."

So, there is a random scene in the middle of this movie where Shelley Duvall walks in on Barf performing fellatio on a guy in a tuxedo? And there is no context for this?

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

OK, I am going to watch the randomness. I feel like I should prepare myself in some way.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's at the end, not the middle, but yes. And no.

11. imjustagirl

No, that would be insane.

It's toward the end.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I watched it, laughed out loud, watched it again, laughed out loud and then sent the link to my mom's email so she can open it in the morning and have a giant "What the fuck" moment over her cup of Folgers. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted