1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Oregonian's other shoe about to drop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 17, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the severance is? I think Advance has a history of being generous at least by industry standards.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Pardon the possible dumb question, but can anyone sum up for me? In Cleveland and Portland, delivery will be reduced to three or four days a week but web site will remain free?

3. Correct. In both Cleveland and Portland (and now New Orleans, essentially) home delivery will be three days a week (with a fourth "bonus" day that includes a heavy dose of sports). The paper will be available at newsstands the other three days of the week and subscribers will have access to a digital replica (.pdf) of the print edition.

The website will remain free and largely like it is in all the Advance markets.

If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me, but that is my interpretation.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Whose brilliant idea was it to call the fourth day a bonus day?

Readers know when they're getting hosed. But go ahead and insult them, too.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Meet the new Sales Manager
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Putting aside the depressing layoffs, maybe fewer days of delivery and a free website make sense. Not sure people will buy into the paywall concept...

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ad rates are so low already, and new research suggests they should be even lower. Not having a paywall almost assures your newspaper will be losing money on the website if the work hours that so often get lumped into, "Oh, they would be doing that for print anyway," justifications are properly accounted for.

8. CNY

CNY Member

At other Advance papers, how many of those who were laid off were brought back as freelancers (or staffers) after the dust settled? The Oregonian keeps claiming it will wind up with the same number of reporters when all is said and done. I assume that means lots of new hires at much lower salaries.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Haven't they actually expanded sports departments in some Advance places?

10. CNY

CNY Member

Hey, lots of Oregonian jobs being posted today!
    http://oregonianmedia.jobinfo.com/public/index.php

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

They are advertising for a music critic. Less than a week after they jettisoned a really good one. Stay classy.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No. It's a different company, silly!

Draft saved Draft deleted