1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Oregonian's other shoe about to drop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 17, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When it was announced the Rocky Mountain News was closing, Tracy Ringolsby and a photographer found out while at spring training. Yet they gave the D.C. guy a heads up and flew him back the night before the announcement under the guise that he couldn't say anything. There were a few people in the newsroom who knew it was coming down because they had been working on the farewell edition that ran the morning after the announcement.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Seven photographers out. What remains is a bare bones crew. Guess that means reporters better learn to shoot as well as they handle a notepad.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

With iPhones? [/chicagosuntimes}

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

By my count, they had 17 photo employees, not all of whom were photographers. So they lost about half their photographers in one mass layoff, assuming all the affected were photographers.

I remember John Hunt well from his stint as the fantasy sports expert for USA Today. He was a real trailblazer there. Stunning to see that any media company would be shortsighted enough to dump him.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I remember Tracy finding out in spring training. Geez.

I can also vouch for Shottie... it happened the same way at my shop.

6. MileHigh

There was a picture of the photog who was there, in the stands of a spring training game when word came down.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reports are a quarter of the editorial staff is gone.

8. MileHigh

Mind-boggling.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Mind-boggling, indeed. And just plain sad.
    I knew the sports guys -- plus Ryan -- who got laid off. All excellent writers, which of course means little in this day and age. Media companies have an interesting business plan -- shrink the product and shrink the staff because, as we all know, our readers want less and not more from us.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

How many layoffs is it now that Chris Anderson has presided over, including the start of the dismantling in Orange County?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ryan could have been Lester Bangs and not kept that job, unfortunately. Advance doesn't value culture. Increasingly, the place for music writing is online, and I don't know what the heck that pays. I can't imagine there's many benefits.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Photogs took quite a hit here, too, including a truly gifted sports shooter. And yes, the expectation is most definitely that reporters are to pull out those iPhones and shoot something they cover if possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted