1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Oregonian's other shoe about to drop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jun 17, 2013.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Found this on Romenesko's website. Papers filed to copyright the name Oregonian Media Group. I think we all know what this means.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-30317-the_oregonian_takes_big_step_that_hints_the_end_of_daily_publishing_is_coming.html

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's that big of a deal. The O has started publishing papers in Washington County.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Just throwing it out there. They may want to incorporate that name, sure, but every time I hear an Advance property using the name Media Group...

4. Yep, I think this is a pretty good clue.

But let's be honest. Did anyone really think that the Oregonian would be the *only* paper untouched by the Newhouse changes. It was going to happen; it was just a matter of when.

We'll see how it plays out.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, anybody worth a shit in Portland is busy reading the New York Times anyway.

6. DanOregon

If you work for small town daily, the locals crap on you and talk about the big regional. If you work for the big regional, they talk about the big metro daily. You work for the big metro daily, they talk about the NY Times.
    I always figure people in New York crap on the Times and say they only read the New Yorker or Le Monde.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I would certainly vouch for that being a pretty good clue. :)

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Translation?

9. DanOregon

Meaning they want a name that reflects their expanded media offerings.

10. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but how does changing from Oregonian Publishing Co. to Oregonian Media Group accomplish that? Publishing papers in Washington County is still publishing, and still publishing in Oregon.

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Was it possible to buy the Oregonian Media Group and then sell it later? Is the Cleveland Media Group still out there?

12. The name is unimportant. It just happens to be that the all the names of the new companies follow the same format. What is important for the purposes of the people who work there is the actual creation of a new company -- or two new companies, really. The Oregonian Media Group will handle the content and ad sales side of the new arrangement and something along the lines of Oregonian Central Services (or a similar name) will handle circulation, printing, etc.

The old newspaper company as currently incorporated will morph into these two new companies. Some people will be invited to take jobs at the new companies, others will be laid off and others will be laid off and offered the opportunity to apply for jobs at the new company.

That is why it's significant.

Draft saved Draft deleted