1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the NYT implying that McCain had an affair with a lobbyist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Non-denial denial.
    He's counting on 10 years of accumulated man-crushes -- Tim? Chris? -- to save him.
    I wish this were a two-day story, but it won't be.
    And, may I say, wowser.
    And, apparently, she was the lobbyist for this little bit of business.
    http://www.consortiumnews.com/2000/012900b.html

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

she looks kind of pasty with the potential to get bingo arms.

I wonder if jones has run into her on the campaign trail.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Your argument about the timing then makes no sense.

4. Boy, Boom, you're tough.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Guy, you are smart enough to figure it out.

7. Guy_Incognito

Maybe, but I don't. When it was McCain against the big bad Republicans, they liked him alot & wanted him to get the nomination. Now that he did, he's the guy standing in the way of their true love - Obama.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you're the editor of a paper that gets a "scandal" story about a presidential candidate when can you run the story and not get accused of "curious" timing? Seriously.
    Do you hold it like the Oregonian did with Bob Packwood back in the 90s until after the election? I think you run the story as soon as you have the info and feel comfortable running it. If the story is true, its not the newspaper's problem, its the candidate's problem.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

If Obama is their one true love then why the fuck did they endorse Hillary in the primary? ::)

10. Guy_Incognito

They would have done the same for Hillary. The point is that they prefer McCain to any othe rRepublican, but any Democrat (Torricelli the bizarre possible exception) to McCain.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Does anyone have a take on whether or not this is oppo or the Times fairly independently?

The former aides coming forward would seem to suggest to me that if it was oppo at all, it came from McCain's own party. It probably came from someone on that side while the primaries were still important, and, for whatever reason the Times sat on it.

But I'm a little confused, so any theories are welcome.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A lobbyist for Company A who has firm connections, sexual or otherwise, has a bitter enemy in the lobbyists of rival Company B. Check her company's Washington reps for Republican party connections and I'll bet you find a source. It's been eight years since these dudes were on McCain's campaign. They had to be doing something to eat.

Draft saved Draft deleted