1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is the New York Post national media?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 13, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The two biggest stories when camp opens will be Manziel and Michael Sam. There will be wall to wall coverage for the first two weeks or so and then it should taper off a bit after the preseason games begin.

It didn't used to be uncommon at all for papers to send reporters to other training camps for "NFL" stories going beyond the local team. That's tapered off a bit over the last decade or so because most of the papers who had "national" writers either lost them to ESPN or somewhere else or let them go (which is what happened to me) because they didn't feel having a "national" guy was something they could afford anymore.

A few papers still have them, but not many...

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A bunch of the national newspaper guys -- the Len Pasquarellis, Vito Stellinos and Rick Gosselins, et al -- used to do tours of camps every year.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

or so he'd like to think. Hubbach must think he's playing in the same league with King, Glazer, Schecter, Mort and Clayton. He's the bat boy in that lineup

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Apparently the only way to write about someone is to be able to stand on the sidelines at practice or sit and regurgitate from a press conference. Or whine about not being able to do either:

http://nypost.com/2014/05/14/browns-have-already-made-first-mistake-with-johnny-football/

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, that's certainly one of the whiniest pieces I've read in a while.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Guys, can we please spell Bart Hubbuch's name correctly? That's really getting on my nerves.

Yes, I know: "Sure thing, Bart."

Sigh.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's wrong. Their first mistake with Johnny Football was drafting him in the first round.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I didn't think anyone could pull it off, but Bart Hubbuch might have made the New York Times only the second most arrogant and self-absorbed media entity in town this week.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, he didn't.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK. Hyperbole then.

But at least people **care** about what is happening at the Times, they have that going for them. This one? Not a bit.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not uncommon at all for national writers to be denied "one-on-ones" with certain players during training camp. There isn't any consistency to it. They might say yes to Peter King, but no to someone else. I'm guessing most teams, rarely, if ever, say no to ESPN, but the team I used to cover was pretty media friendly and they would routinely tell national guys "You're welcome to cover practice and the press conferences, but no one-on-ones..."

Draft saved Draft deleted