1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the media irreparably broken

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shoeless Joe, Apr 19, 2013.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

I don't understand why all the TV media outlets need to have a reporter standing behind a barricade on a random street corner that nobody can identify near the scene of the action. Can't they just have one sane, sober (adult) person anchor it from the studio and let reporters on the scene rove around and actually do some real reporting and news-gathering and relay it to HQ?

Friday night's two-hour no-commercial prime-time "we think they have the suspect" coverage was ridiculous -- with a hundred idle cops in the background doing nothing and clearly NOT at the scene.

It's no wonder that "the media" are so easily parodied.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Well, granted, the talking head reporters were just standing there. If you were listening to the police scanner you would also know that deep into the Friday coverage, the police had to scramble because there were reporters who had found a back, unguarded way that landed them close to the backyard with the boat.
    To think that the media was just standing there is to believe that only ONE reporter and ONE camera crew from any of the many media outlets covering were there.
    Clearly, that is wrong.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, they are competing against the two greatest newspapers in the nation.

That likely has something to do with it.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

When tweets from injured players during playoff games become more important than the game itself, it's a sure sign that journalism - as many of us know it - is gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted