1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is the long commute to work worth it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chubster, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This made me laugh out loud.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

About 15 miles and between 25-30 minutes away.

3. 55ish miles (N. Baltimore to DC), 1.5 - 2 hours. Sometimes it's worth it. I hate the people on the f-ing train, but I love DC. And I love my job.

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

seven to nine minutes of walking, depending on the number of bums in my path.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

A five-minute drive. Ten if it's rush hour; 15 on game days.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

25 minutes.

and on a side note, i agree with dan that there are more assholes per capita in large cities than there are in smaller cities.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I once had a 90-minute commute each way on a wide-open country highway. After awhile I started actually enjoying it; it was better than my current 40-minute drive that involves traffic. It also didn't hurt that the long drive led to the best job I've ever had.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The era of $3/gallon gas isn't going away, kids. A 100-mile daily round trip that's a combination of highway and city driving is at least $40 or $50 a week out of your pocket. That's two huge or three moderate mortgage payments a year, or his-and-her groceries for four months.

All else being equal, my pain threshold is 20 minutes one way.

At my last gig in a mid-size city I was about 6 miles way, which translated into only 15 minutes if I caught all red lights.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My commute's about 45 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes at night. It's 20 - 25 minutes without traffic.

I'd happily work somewhere closer to where I live, but I sure as hell don't want to live any closer to where I work now.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'm 65 miles each way, 130 roundtrip. It's been a struggle for two years despite how much I love my current setup, but it is the driving force behind my decision to move on to a bigger rag that's close to home.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My commute takes about 40 minutes each way, and I hate nearly every minute of it most days. :mad:

I miss being able to take a train (or a bus) to work.

I put 3,000 miles on my car in my first year living here, when I had two different big-city jobs. (Wanna share that big-city woman title, Flash? ;)) I could read, nap, catch up on work, whatever... and didn't have to pay entirely too much for gas and maintenance. Or worry about silly things like traffic... and accidents.

Draft saved Draft deleted