1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is the long commute to work worth it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chubster, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Harpy! Shrew! Emasculating she-hyena!

You want, you want, you want! You need, you need, you need! Push! Push! Push!

You're killing me with your shallow and unloving materialism!

Big City Woman, you are nothing but rapacious appetite and foul treachery!

Why can't you be like those simple country girls?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Because I like using my own teeth, you pompous, flaccid metro!

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

O! The city has ruined us, Big City Woman! I weep! Weep bitter tears for the future of all humanity!

(curtain)

Seriously, Mr. Rydell, what do you have against us?

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Still waiting to hear Dan's response to spnited on his definition of a Big City.

Population of our town's about 1.3 mil, but our little neighborhood pocket of it has a small-town vibe, and we're just a few minutes from some really pretty country. It's about a 15-minute commute downtown to work.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, I feel fairly safe in my big city. Population: 1 mill.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I still await Mr. Rydell's take on life in the big city. Perhaps he was mistakenly Tasered by a jittery local on his last visit.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I got sick of all the traffic and crime in the big cities, and the last one I lived in had a metro area of 1 million-plus. Nasty people everywhere, though I had a nice neighborhood.

I don't wanna live anywhere that's, oh, 200 thousand-plus anymore. I'm now in a place that's about 40,000, and I like it a lot better.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But what, specifically, made us nasty? Were we abrupt? Rude? Money hungry? (Be sure to read the one-act Dreiser playlet Flash and I sketched out. The history of inhumane misery in our great cities in fewer than 10 posts. "A triumph..." -- Clive Barnes.)

Were we tasering you? Putting our thumb on the scale at the butcher shop? Taking your paycheck in a game of 3-card Monte?

What did we do to earn your loathing?

Maybe, without outing yourself, you could name one or two of these places that so hardened your heart to us.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Nah, let's just leave it at that.

I was raised a country kid, so a lot of it was me. Got tired of seeing concrete everywhere I went. I like to have plenty of green around.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Done.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

OK, but let's leave that big ole paintbrush at home next time, hmmm?

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Sorry. The language was too strong.

And some of the best people I've known were in the cities.

Draft saved Draft deleted