1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the key thing still getting news into the newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I have a Monday meeting with a sports editor of a major metropolitan daily about covering a second-tier professional team on a per diem basis. In a previous meeting, he said he probably would only need me to write an advance capsule for every game and cover the home games.

I want to prove how hard-working I am by asking to write occasional one-to-three paragraph stories on developments with the team, such as "Joe Smith is listed as questionable for Sunday's game," et cetera. I want to tell him, "The key thing is getting news into the newspaper."

My question as the subject line indicates "Is the key thing still getting news into the newspaper?"

Some say it is more important to get news (and related content) on the Web site. My feeling is that the key is getting it into the newspaper because the newspaper generates far more revenue than the Web site and at this paper, everything in the paper gets put on the Web site at midnight. (Some key stories are put on earlier.)

This is just about one-to-three paragraph stories, in part to be sure we can match or beat the competition. There doesn't seem to be the space for anything more. I fear there could be little fights over getting one-to-three paragraph stories in because of the general space crunch, but I think they should be in the paper to satisfy the team's fans and keep us competitive.

2. X: You telling the SE, "The key thing is getting news in the newspaper" comes across as a little snarky on your part. He knows his job, and he knows his paper and its space. If all he wants is a capsule and home gamer, that's what you give him.

That being said, make the offer of, "Hey, when I hear about any breaking developments with the team, new signing, key trade, etc, I'll give you the head's up and if you want 3 grafs on it, I can handle that." Then when something breaks, you call him and see if he wants it.

Making yourself available and willing is the best way to prove you're hard-working.

3. This is excellent advice.

4. boots

boots New Member

I think the above advice is great but if I'm hearing you right, you're hoping that this can evolve into something bigger.
    Let him know that you are more than capable of doing other things, even if its grunt work.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Maybe tell him you understand print space is at a premium, but that you'd be willing to delve a little deeper for the Web site if he wants you to.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Lone Star nailed it. End of thread.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The above advice is good.
    However, I'd like to point out to Mr. X that, while it's by no means universal, the growing trend is to break news on the web as soon as the story is nailed down, then analyze what is means the next morning in print. Having said that, I recognize that hundred-word blurbs don't necessarily fit into that formula.

Draft saved Draft deleted