1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the growth of lacrosse at the expense of other womens sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hockey on grass.... utterly unwatchable.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Box Lacrosse is much better

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Box lacrosse is the absolute best.

Funnily enough, it's not a "frat boy" sport up here but a solid blue collar sport.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Then you have my alma mater, which is axing men's AND women's swimming to start women's hockey. The women's teams are about the same size but one women's hockey team will generate more revenue than both swim teams.

Funny, I never thought Darryl Gross worked in newspapers.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's interesting to look at the motivation behind some of these sports. Is it better to have swimming so more kids can compete or hockey, which might supports itself?

And look at some sports like tennis or soccer. What's the point of being mediocre in a sport that is filled with foreign athletes (presumably getting scholarships), doesn't make money and doesn't attract fans or interest?

Why not try to keep those sports for the locals who might enjoy playing?

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

At one of my schools there were drunken idiots who liked to try and break into the trampoline room to have sex on it. Not like that didn't sound like fun, but there are liability issues for the school.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Depending on where the school is located travel might be an issue. It seems like DI gymnastics teams are clustered around the South, Midwest and West. If the school is in the Northeast, there are certainly more comparable lacrosse programs nearby.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Women's lax is essentially a non-contact sport. There is far less chance of a severe spinal injury in lacrosse than in gymnastics. Trust me, the insurance costs play a part in the decision.

As far as swimming in concerned, I would look into where the team plays and practices.

This is all about the money.

Draft saved Draft deleted