1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Debt Ceiling Unconstitutional?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mike, Also, you kind argued that if only our economy had kept expanding by leaps and bounds, heck, we could have afforded to increase spending for a while before it caught up with us (Never mind that in that fairy tale world you can also argue that you can cut taxes quite a bit, too, before it catches up with you, which is the thing you choose not to argue).

That, "Let's live like economies never contract, and keep spending more and more and raising less and less" is what I'd call the Greek school of fiscal management.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Once again, the primary cause of the increase in the debt since 2008 is the reduction in tax revenues and increases (which I should have mentioned before) in expenditures on the automatic stabilization programs such as unemployment, food stamps, Medicaid (more poor people, more Medicaid spending, and even the more people taking lower benefits to get Social Security at age 62 due to the recession-going-on-depression. We could stop paying the automatic stabilizers, and the resulting increases in poverty, unemployment, etc would make society poorer, thereby reducing tax revenues even more. Without the added spending, we'd be much closer to the gold, canned goods and firearms economy that so many folks seem to long for.
    Only robust growth can really make dents in the debt total, as it did after WW2 and during the late '90s. Even Bill Gross is advocating maintaining government spending levels. It's hardly a radical notion.
    Perhaps the debt ceiling will not be raised, and the government will spend accordingly. Then you'll see an end to stagnation, and the jump start of a real recession/depression -- leading to yet more debt.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of any solution that keeps Democrats and Republicans from sitting down like grown adults and hammering it out. This Constitutional "solution" sounds like a "solution" that isn't a solution at all. I don't think Wall Street and the creditors will buy it for one second.

I know, I know, perfect world and all, but at some point, the factions on the Hill need to compromise and get their shit together.

I imagine this will happen as soon as the big money donors that support mostly GOP candidates see their own profits in jeopardy and make the GOP make nice.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mike, Bill Gross said something to the effect that we need to decrease our debt to stave off default, but NOW is not the time to do it if "job growth" is really the priority, as our politicians are saying. He basically said it can wait until the economy is on firmer footing.

He is not advocating unbrldled spending, because Bill Gross has been saying for a long time that we need to reign in our debt to avoid a future default.

I don't agree we can put it off a bit longer, as he recently suggested, because what has been proven time after time that once Congress spends more, it is impossible to get them to roll it back. They keep pushing forward and expanding our budget, which is obscenely bloated. And I also don't believe that inefficient government spending has ever done anything to stimulate our market-based economy.

What is telling is that Bill Gross has spoken with his wallet. He dumped his U.S. Treasury holdings a few months ago, because he sees us entering danger territory and he doesn't trust our politicians to do the right thing. He won't touch U.S. debt, which says loud and clear how Bill Gross feels.

We don't have the luxury of added spending, Mike, because we are in a precarious position. When we can't make the payments on our debt, we will have much deeper problems than we do today with a stagnant economy.

We are not Greece. But we are on a path toward becoming Greece. And our politicians have no sense of urgency about it, as demonstrated by the fact that we have increased our debt by between $3.5 and $4 trillion just in the two plus years Obama has been president.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Ragu, we are not Greece because from what I understand from my Wall Street friend (yeah, the one who is stockpiling gold and silver in Swiss banks and now is considering buying "farmland" for the coming economic shitstorm), almost no one who might be even considered middle class in Greece pays hardly any taxes. That is certainly the way we're heading though as millionaires and billionaires demand to pay less and less tax and get more involved in the political process (read dump money into it) to make sure they keep paying less tax. As for the debt ceiling, the Republicans better stop dallying around and raise this thing or, according to my friend, we are all in for some really bad times.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It's also the populist school of fiscal management. Tell the voters they can have their cake and eat it too. They can have limited government and less spending, but they can also have their Medicare and Federal Earmarks and the most kick-ass military in the world. It tells voters what they like to hear, which keeps them happy and keeps them pushing the button for you when they go to the voting booth every 2-6 years.

Both sides are going to have to cut into their political sacred cows. Democrats will have to cut or curtail entitlement programs that they've held dear for generations. Republicans will have to cut defense spending and, yes, let the Bush tax cuts and other tax breaks expire. Outside analysts of both liberal and conservative political persuasion agree on this.

Unfortunately, politicians are the ones who make those decisions. And politicians care about one thing and one thing only - winning their next election and keeping (or gaining) the perks of political power. To hell with the big picture. To hell with the long-term health of the country. To hell with making serious, lasting repairs to the many problems that plague this country. It's all about scoring the political brownie points and raising the money they need to win the next time their name appears on a ballot. Mitch McConnell basically said as much last November when he said the GOP's goal for 2011 and 2012 is to "make Obama a one-term President." Ditto for Democrats when Bush was President.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm betting if Reagan and O'Neill were negotiating, we'd probably have a deal. Now, though, it's tough to have lunch with someone from across the aisle without risking a significant primary challenge.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

No kidding. Utah's Bob Bennett, while opposing the Affordable Care Act and ultimately voting against it, worked with Oregon Democrat Ron Wyden on an alternative idea. His reward was finishing 3rd at the state's GOP convention last year and not even qualifying for the primary, never mind the general election.

Utah's senior senator, Orrin Hatch, worked with the late Ted Kennedy on CHIP. He may suffer Bennett's fate when he's up for re-election next year.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. They may have disagreed a lot but they always realized they were Americans first before being Democrats and Republicans.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Geithner pulls out the Republican Bible. They cringe as if they are vampires.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/tim-geithner-14th-amendment_n_887925.html

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great take on the financial crisis that's leading to all the current mess:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-real-causes-of-the-economic-crisis-theyre-history/2011/06/27/AG2nK4pH_story.html

"The contrast in fortunes between those on top of the economic heap and those buried in the rubble couldn’t be starker. The 10 biggest banks now control more than three-quarters of the country’s banking assets. Profits have bounced back, while compensation at publicly traded Wall Street firms hit a record $135 billion in 2010.

Meanwhile, more than 24 million Americans are out of work or can’t find full-time work, and nearly $9 trillion in household wealth has vanished. There seems to be no correlation between who drove the crisis and who is paying the price."

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It's precisely because those few banks have become so colossal that their CEOs deserve to be sopping up every available penny. </crossthread>

Draft saved Draft deleted