1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the city of Baltimore no better than the Irsays?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 12, 2007.

1. DJtheFan

DJtheFan New Member

This is a very interesting thread.

I hate to make this my first post, but I guess it will have to do.

There definitely seems to be a lot of vitriol towards Baltimore in this thread when it comes to the Colts leaving. Part of the defense is the attendance figures for the last few years before Irsay moved.

For those who bring that up, I have a question: what is your opinion of the situation with the Charlotte fans and the NBA? They had a fine arena that was selling out every night, but as George Shinn kept making threats to the city and started publicly looking elsewhere, they stopped coming.

When they made the playoffs after the move was announced, the stands were barely half-full.

Of course, the NBA was smart enough to realize that the attendance was the owner's fault and not the fans', and gave them an expansion team (which Washington Redskins season-ticket holder and Jack Kent Cooke's best friend Paul Tagliabue was trying to avoid at all costs in Baltimore).

If Charlotte had been forced to steal, say, the Indiana Pacers or Cleveland Cavaliers (just for comparison's sake) instead of getting the deserved expansion team, would you be killing those fans as well?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Charlotte had every right to run Shinn out of town. He fought for the Charlotte Coliseum and then wanted a brand new building 15 years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted