1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the AP getting slower these days?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: Is the AP getting really lazy these days?

Boy, it's just too bad that there aren't any big Web sites that mooch off AP content so that they could hit them up for high rates to cover their overhead.

Oh wait ...

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: Is the AP getting really lazy these days?

You should have other priorities than sports, in that case.

3. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

More complaint, is it that hard to move a shockey head shot? Or maybe additional art instead of one photo of him standing there. I know there are archives etc. but sometimes you don't have time. Just run a head shot and a couple of file photos on the wire. Headshot mandatory.

4. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

What if you are a sports designer at a paper in an area with a hurricane issue?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When your ME tells you to start laying out hurricane-related pages you say "Yessir" and get it done.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So joe, are you the owner of a newspaper? You're not sending AP jack squat. As for your logic, can't your readers blame you for less and less local coverage because they are sending in checks every month?

Blame the organization, but don't blame the writers.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We can still blame Jaime Aron for the painfully slow writethrus though, right?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

While you're knocking, I have to point out -- for any newspaper with a website these days, or just a website (and that pretty much covers everybody here by now, I think), the APNewsNow breaks on news and the ends of events has been a tremendous improvement in terms of getting something out there fast and then updating on top of it. Even golf on Sunday, for instance. It has been a big help.

9. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

He didn't today.

10. riverrats95

riverrats95 Member

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A recent discovery on my part, too, and it's helped me out a lot. My only beef is that the headshots look creepily superimposed on the colored background, but it doesn't stop me from running 'em.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Make the mug a cutout and the background isn't an issue. Really, do we not solve problems anymore? Or do we just bitch when everything doesn't come to us exactly how we want it?

Draft saved Draft deleted