1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the AP getting slower these days?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We're far enough after the A's-Rays game to have the 1st lead of the story, and the only art moved is the generic starting pitcher shots? I know that (hopefully) no one's deadline is approaching quickly, but that's still piss-poor.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Is the AP getting really lazy these days?

This reminds me of my Sunday editor asking me to get him the NFL Notes package by Tuesday afternoon.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jesus, dude. At least wait until 4:15.

4. Big Circus

But I want it nooooooooooooow!

5. Big Circus

Also, to defend myself, this happened last night, too, in the same series, so maybe it's a photographer issue. And it did affect me on deadline last night.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Blame soccer ... that's what a bunch of fuckers here do.

7. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

Anytime they want to send a photo of Sam Hornish to go with the main story in the auto racing package, that'd be nice too.

8. Big Circus

Since I bitched, I'll give credit where credit is due. The shots of Carlos Gonzalez crashing into the wall and the Aybar/Hannahan tag are legit.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

No. AP is lazy these days. Sure it may only be 4 p.m. or 4:15 or whatever, but there are still PM papers in the world who might be able to get that in (where, I dunno). But still. Rangers-ChiSox art two nights ago....useless. Last night, nothing good until about 10:40...useless.
    Waiting for optionals these days on anything is almost laughable because of how slow they send them and half the time the first ledes have glaring mistakes.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

These thread piss me off. AP is skeleton-staffed by a bunch of overworked, underpaid journalists trying to do the best they can with diminishing resources. Sound familiar? I don't understand why we can 'woe is me' on one thread and bitch about the same thing on another. Do you really need a journalistic whipping boy to feel superior here?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I blame bocce ball.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Easy Cadet....because we pay these "skeleton-staffed by a bunch of overworked, underpaid journalists trying to do the best they can with diminishing resources" to do their freakin job.
    When newspapers are cutting back everywhere to cut costs we still are paying the AP the same rates (and more) as ever. The one thing newspapers aren't really cutting back on is AP services.

And I'd like to know that too Buck, thus the (where, I dunno) line. But there could be one out there!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted