1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Texas Tech Football Dead?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Neuheisel? Are you fucking kidding me? Well, if you're going to play like that, Jim Harrick and Jerry Tarkanian were nice guys.

Dungy I'll give you. I just wish he spent as much time with his own kid as he does defending Michael Vick. Also, highly overrated as a coach. Awesome guy, mediocre coach.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was being somewhat facetious.

3. Mizzougrad96

OK, good...

4. Mizzougrad96

I think of nice guy college coaches, I think of Bobby Bowden and Tommy Tuberville and it was easy for Bowden to be nice when his coordinators were tearing players new assholes. Pete Carroll is a really nice guy, cheats like a SOB, but nice guy. :)

Urban Meyer = Dick
    Joe Paterno = Dick
    Nick Saban = Dick

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That didn't particularly answer my question. At this point, football as war and coach as drill sergeant are pretty much engrained into the fabric of the game. But I'm asking what edge a hardass would have in preparing a team as opposed to someone who was more of a calm, reasonable manager of people

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clearly a set up. Why not just just flip all the cards and tell us how you feel instead of waiting to pounce on my answer.
    FYI I was not going for the football is war analogy in suggesting that drill sergeants use similar motivation tactics as coaches.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This is a message board, not What's My Line. I'm just curious, is all.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's tarnished as hell, but Pete Carroll?

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't think it's a coincidence that 95 percent of the best coaches we can list are dicks and proud of it. Phil Jackson has his Zen Master act, but he's every bit the dick that most coaches are.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think I mentioned Carroll along with Tuberville and Bowden. There are a couple, but they are the exception.

The two best college football coaches right now are Meyer and Saban and both are legendary assholes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The successful coaches you describe are more tyrants than dicks.

The guy who might break the mold is Rex Ryan - seems like strange combination of nice guy and tyrant at same time.

12. Mizzougrad96

There are some who know when to turn it on and off. They come across to the national media like they're refined and then turn into a screaming asshole during practices and games. Coach K comes to mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted