1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Texas Tech Football Dead?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's what they wanted but getting rid of Mike Leach slammed the door on the rise of Tech football into the elite. I don't think bland Tommy Tubberville will be bringing them back any time soon. Bad loss to Iowa State this past weekend.

As nice sidebar zero catches for James kid so far this year.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It'll be the first program killed by a third-string wideout whose daddy was unhappy with his playing time.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

As a native West Texan, I ask, "Was Texas Tech football every truly alive?"

It's not like this was ever a program that contended for national championships. This is a school that -- student population-wise -- is maybe fourth or fifth in its own state. Hell, Baylor has a more prestigious football history.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At least Texas Tech wasn't helping Baylor rewrite its record book over the weekend. I think Tuberville will have a decent, not great, program at Texas Tech. I'm not as confident about what Turner Gill will do at Kansas in a similar situation.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All joking aside, as much as I hated the Leach firing, hiring Tuberville almost offset it.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Mike Leach was pretty much the only reason ANYBODY ever gave two thoughts to that program. They're done as a Big 12 contender and even more done as a national player (not that they ever were *that* big a deal, nationally).

Leach gave you a reason to give a shit about them. They'll be, at best, the fifth best team in Texas in no time.

7. wheateater

wheateater Member

Well, they were ranked #2 in the nation in the third week of November two years ago. I'd say that qualifies as competing for a national title. But I agree with your general point, and that year was certainly the exception rather than the rule.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In 2008 TT was on the national map. A few more years with Leach and they would have moved into the elite.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Tuberville's track record in the SEC leads me to believe he'll be able to win 7-10 games a year at Texas Tech -- every once in a while more, every once in a while less. Can any of the teams that will be left in the Big 12, excluding Texas and OU, reasonably expect anything more that?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Am I the only one who caught the joke here? The entire joke being that this is a spinoff of the ND thread. Come on people!

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Texas Tech fan in me says "No, they are not dead."

The logical part of me says that they lost a lot of the luster off the shine that Leach had.

They're still a very good team.

Colorado will be a very good team next year with Leach at the helm. (mark my words....after Hawkins is gone after this season, they will have to make a splash with a big name, and it will be Leach.)

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Red Raiders would have given up 52 points against Iowa State just as readily under Leach as they did under Tuberville. And the result against Texas was similar to the one they had last year. And the offense hasn't changed much, tho there's more running (Leach was moving in that direction as well). Going forward, Tuberville gives them more of a chance to someday have a defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted