1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is TCM losing some of its class?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColbertNation, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Let me start by saying that I love TCM, especially whenever they do a Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant or Kate Hepburn marathon. But tonight, they're showing Rush Hour 2. Am I missing something here?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Rush Hour 2 is a classic. At least, the Sweded version is.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

TCM now stands for "Totally Crappy Movies"?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They should have offed Chipper Jones when they had the chance.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I love TCM! Yeah, every few months they throw a present day turd on the air. But they're overall schedule is tons better than AMC. Plus TCM shows tons of old flicks that aren't available on video.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yeah. definitely one of those stations that i constantly find a movie i want to tivo

7. Bad Guy Zero

How many commercials breaks and edits for content/time did you sit through?

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Excellent Be Kind Rewind reference.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish there was a channel that showed only good movies, four star and above, or at least significant in some way, film debut of a star or director, first film shot on video, or some other technological advancement, and if they could cut the commercial breaks into the movie where they don't land right in the middle of a scene.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love TCM. It might be my favorite non-sports cable channel. Even the "crap" they very occasionally air has either historic significance or has a cult following that is rooted in some vestige of quality.

I think the reason they're showing Rush Hour 2 is the same reason they showed Enter The Dragon the other night, they are doing a retrospective on significant Asian performances and performers in film this month.

While it would be cooler if they picked a Jackie Chan movie that is actually Asian-made, he is a significant Asian actor than made it in America. I think that's why it is being aired.

As for Buckweaver preferring AMC over TCM, them's fighting words. But before we fight, we'll take five minutes for an AMC commercial break. :D

11. Bad Guy Zero

Go rent the Z Channel documentary and have a good cry.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I saw that on IFC I think. It was rally interesting. I'd never heard of that channel, but it seemed to have a pretty big influence on people.

I love TCM, I just wish when they showed a Casablanca or Philadelphia Story, they would show it more than once, that way I could DVR it. My only complaint. Except for showing Rush Hour 2, that's just wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted