1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is summer overrated?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 16, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I spent the summer of 1994 in London and it was an outlier in that it barely rained and it was hot and humid almost daily.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

In general, I'll take winter of summer any day here in the Midwest -- though that excludes the polar vortex, -20 degree stuff we've had a couple of times in the last several years, including last winter. But 25 degrees? Beats 95. The humidity here weights you down and can make doing outdoor activities feel like a battle.

I'll go:
    1. Autumn
    2. Spring
    3. Winter
    4. Summer

Best sports weather experience? There's nothing like leaving the cold and heading to a warm gym/arena in the winter for a basketball game.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yes. Fall is the best season, except if you live in Florida, where it's summer all year.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eh, I was in an area where the mornings could get below freezing. It was fun to watch the natives flip out.

There were a couple of days where the temps didn't get out of the 50s. The natives drug out basically winter gear minus the snow shovels. They didn't think much of my T-shirts.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I live in Oregon, great place to be if you dislike summer because it tends to top out in the 80s. Fall is no. 1 in my book for vacations, leaves turning, crowds are down, rates are better. I also agree that summer's are nice to work because bosses tend to be out for weeks at a time (and their bosses too) so less meddling and "new initiatives."

Tweener likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Yes! Thanks!

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Although hotter in recent years, summers in the PNW are wonderful.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I love the summer (I’m a teacher, so there’s that). My favorite summer activity is to head to the North Carolina mountains. I get satisfaction from watching the thermometer in the car go from 92 to 78 in a matter of minutes.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was 115 degrees here today. As I type this at 9:10pm it is still 103 degrees.

Summer is not my favorite season.

Tweener likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've done just enough of London to know I haven't done enough. I'd move out that way before someone could finish asking if I'd come. Loved the weather. A bit warm some days but otherwise fantastic.

On our second trip to the UK, wife and I started in London where it was 80s with humidity. We went from there to Scotland. She had to buy a jacket. It was perfect.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There are three seasons in Texas: summer, SUMMER, and Blue Norther. You might get a week or two of spring or autumn.

It’s still 80s and often touching 90 up until the week before Thanksgiving, when the first serious cold blast arrives and everyone freezes their asses off.

Then around the first of March the switch flips again and it feels like summer (which for us is actually tolerable until the depths of hell open up). The other 10 months may be a crapshoot weather-wise, but in July and August you know what you’re gonna get.

Wenders likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted