1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Subway in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Cousins is good. Doesn't touch Publix.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Or an apartment of college students?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The one near the big university I went to just closed down. The site looks so forlorn, so sad.

Now I've got to find the *next* nearest Wawa. Goddamn Corporate.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I miss Little Caesar's badly - all the ones in R.I. disappeared a few years ago (I'm guessing bad franchise holder). The best chain pizza there is, I heart Crazy Bread, and my stepson grew up on the bucket of spaghetti when there was an LC down the street.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Is Bain's Deli still a staple of the Philadelphia area?

Also, the best New England sub shop is D'Angelo. Can't get enough of that place.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Publix = best national or regional grocery store I've ever been to. Delchamps (now defunct), Food World, Sav-A-Center, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo all pale in comparison to Publix.

Now I go to Langenstein's a family-owned, local grocery store in New Orleans. Best place ever.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You didn't mention Wegmann's. With good reason. And I've been in both. :)

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I like a little regional chain called Sheetz. Its a gas station/sub shop combination. But there aren't any around here, I have to wait to go see Penn St. to load up.

Blimpie's is better than Subway and not as expensive as Quiznos. Subway, while not my favorite, is still better than most fast food choices 8 times out of 10.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I miss the Subway seafood and crab. Subway tricked up the bread, but gutted the menu in the process.

Quizno's sandwiches are better than Subway's, but they're too damn pricey for what you get.

Still, I have many fond memoriues of the 1 a.m. Subway after-kegger back in the days before the 24-hour McD's and Jack In The Box.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned Firehouse? I'm not going to say it's better than all the others mentioned, but I've gotten hooked on it. Not laddered, but definitely hooked ...

11. pallister

pallister Guest

You might if you regularly ate two at a time.

12. rallen13

rallen13 Member

While I like Quiznos better than Subway, I must agree that they are just too damn pricey. The key to Quiznos is the toasting of the sandwich. So, I have started asking Subway to toast every sammie I buy there. I have gotten some strange looks when I have sai to toast a veggie or meatball sammie, but damned it they don't tast better. Like having a Quiznos sammie at Subway prices.
    I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned Schlotzkey's. They make a hell of a sandwich. Just don't look at the nutritional figures or your heart will stop on the spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted