1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Subway in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 4, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You are 100% right on that. The two times I've eaten at Quiznos I was expecting much, much better and ended up not even wanting to finish the damn thing.

For my money nothing ever beat the Steak and Mushroom with Cheese at Jerry's. It was in a shopping mall near my office years ago so I assume it was a chain, but no one has mentioned it on this thread, so it would appear y'all aren't near one.

The grilled chicken breast sub at Cousin's (now operating in 10 states and with Dan Patrick as a shill) is also as good as it gets.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

In "Fast Food Nation," Subway is called the worst franchise business.

They have folks whose sole job it is to sell franchises. They're not on salary, they make a commission on the franchise fees. If they miss their quotas they sometimes have to pay the company.

There's more here (pages 100-102):
    http://books.google.com/books?id=yNFN1OpnkBkC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=subway+%22fast+food+nation%22+%22selling+franchises%22&source=web&ots=l_mdsDat23&sig=nT-ouX9bjxjWDYkZcpYGcLYX-KI#PPA100,M1

3. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

A guy I know owns a Subway and he said the problem is that Subway doesn't govern where a new Subway can open up. Unlike McDonalds, which will only allow another McDonalds within so many miles of another one, you could open a Subway right next door to another one. There's no rules about competition, and the corporate offices are consistently rising their take. It's currently around 14 to 17 cents for every dollar. The owner also never really owns the Subway, they're sort of renting the name. Every store is allowed two "local" sandwiches, but is forced to have menu handed down from corporate.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid. fucking. post.

you will not be swayed no matter how big o' guns i pull out.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Subway sucks... Give me Jimmy Johns every time...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Publix Deli is unbelievable... I've seen them when I've had to travel down south (Atlanta, etc...) and they're just incredible...

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you're near a Camille's Sidewalk Cafe try it - you'll like it - trust me.
    Locations - http://www.camillescafe.com/index.cfm?id=3
    Menu - http://www.camillescafe.com/admin/cafelocations/images/menu.pdf

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I loved the Wawa when I lived up north. Many fond memories of hanging out at the one up the road from Great Adventure, and buying Italian subs with five or six bucks in loose change I found working on the roller coaster every day. Good times, man, good times...

On other sub places, there's not a better deal than Subway's daily special on Thursday -- the 6-inch Italian BMT, side and drink for under $5. Yum.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well, I hope they get rid of at least two in my area. In the area I work/live in there are 5 within four blocks of each other (including one at my work). Why do we need so many? And they seriously need to find someone more appealing to do the commercials. I mean Jerod and Jon Lovitz...seriously?

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I heart Quizno's, but only have it every couple years. Just can't stomach paying that much. Plus, I like Penn Station a little better.

A Penn Station Dagwood with turkey, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, oil, vinegar and oregano may be god's gift to food.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Many Quiznos franchisees having problems making the nut.

Draft saved Draft deleted