1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Subway in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Within the last month, I've noticed at least three Subway sandwich shops within a 5-mile radius of my home have closed up shop.
    I don't read the business section often, so perhaps I've missed something, but is Subway in trouble financially at the corporate level or is this more likely to be a case of indvidual franchisees having problems?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably the franchises... the same person is likely to own all the ones in an area...

But since my local Subway hired my sister-in-law's convict brother, maybe it IS corporate

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Gotta thin the herd at some point; there's a Subway on every street corner in America.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not true. Starbucks and Walmart dont just appear in the middle of the block.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Unfortunately, a scenario far worse than this happened near me. We've lost three Quizno's in the past year. Damn Subway's still hang around. :mad:

6. We just lost a Quiznos, too. Not very sad about it.

I am still mourning, however, all the Boston Markets that disappeared from our area some five years ago and never came back ...

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

God, I hope not.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Quiznos is SOOO much better than Subway.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like Quiznos a lot, but it's more expensive. Granted, you get more for your dollar, but I grew up on Subway, and it's usually more convenient for me.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And pricier.

Quiznos are popping up everywhere near me.

11. Here's how I rank the sandwich shops. Chains only. I'm partial to Italian subs, so that might explain the list:

Publix deli > Jersey Mike's > Blimpies (Blimpie's Best) > Subway > Quiznos. Never quite got into Quiznos. Too many condiments poured all over the meat.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Agreed, but we don't have Quiznos, so I ate a 6-inch sub at Subway today.

Draft saved Draft deleted