1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Steph Curry the 'best outside shooter of all time?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 14, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This piece from last night's record-breaking win claims he is:

Warriors attain NBA immortality with 73rd win to break ’96 Bulls’ wins record

And, I agree. The numbers really are mind-boggling.

The only shooter with a better career 3-point percentage than Curry is his coach, who made fewer than half the shots Curry has made, in more than twice the time. In seven seasons, Curry has made just six fewer 3-pointers than Kerr took in 15 years.

The argument used to center around Ray Allen or Reggie Miller, but Curry has so thoroughly eclipsed them both in every way except longevity that it's tough to give either of them the nod.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except his coach wasn't taking nearly the same percentage of high degree of difficulty shots. I recall most of Kerr's typically coming when he was squared and spotted up as the guy left open when Michael Jordan got double-teamed. Defensive schemes were never designed around stopping Steve Kerr.

Aside from the percentages, it's the degree of difficulty factor that boggles my mind with Curry. He consistently makes these video game type shots (30 feet, off the dribble, falling away, off one foot, etc.) look like routine easy stuff to him. And while simultaneously running point (which none of the other candidates really had to do).

So my answer to the question is an absolute YES. I've not seen another shooter quite like him.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's completely arguable that Wayne Gretzky was already and would remain the greatest offensive player in NHL history had he retired in 1986.

This is that same kind of argument. Curry has been that good.

Iron_chet and FileNotFound like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would say yes. He's best in the three-point era, and there was no incentive for the top outside shooters before that to take shots that long except as a tool to open up defenses a little, so they couldn't have practiced it as much as contemporary shooters do.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Curry took only the ones he "should" take, or the ones that only the other best shooters in history have taken, he'd be at about 60 percent. Sometimes he takes shots that even he can't think have a chance of going in. And even on those he probably makes 20 percent.

He is the best, yeah.

Iron_chet likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Fair enough opinion. So who is?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is Chicago native Dick about to break out the eye test to defend a hero from his youth?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know. You tell me. I'm just stating my opinion.

10. Michael_ Gee

I'm sorry Dick. If the question is "Is X the greatest at Y?" and you say no without naming a greatest, that is ducking the issue with a vengeance.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So Dick is going all Shottie on us by refusing to explain or defend his position?

This has to be part of some sort of long con. Just haven't figured out his angle yet.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted