1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sports betting morally wrong for sports writers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. standman

standman Member

What about publishing predictions based on the line?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Unless you live in Las Vegas, gambling on sports is illegal. So if your bookie gets busted and the cops tell the local TV station that several of his customers were Journal-Herald-Times-News sportswriters, how would the management of your paper react?

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Is this state heaven?

Bookie joints in my hometown used to publish lines, but it was kept pretty hush-hush since high school kids are 50 pct of the business.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't remember the last time a bookie around here was arrested.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are guys who cover the horse and dog tracks with serious gambling problems. There are some prep guys who have been known to place a bet or two on high school games. Personally, I feel it is morally wrong to bet on a sport that you have inside information on.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

You know guys that bet on high school games? Wow. That's just really, really sad.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I knew of one guy who did. He's no longer in journalism and no he didn't get kicked out. In his neck of the woods, placing a bet on the local prep game was as common as watching a hooker work in NYC.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why would being a sports writer make it morally wrong? It would be morally wrong no matter who you are if it is morally wrong.

Ethically wrong, that's a different story.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, I agree. Ethically is a more correct term.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, I wouldn't bet on a sport I cover (and if I can't bet on it, it's not a sport).
    But if I cover college football and want to throw a few bucks on the NFL or college hoops, yes. I would do it.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't think it's morally wrong, but i do think it's stupid. I know numerous folks who bet on sports. I don't know anyone who doesn't come out behind financially.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have, however for full disclosure, been known to run a press pool or two at a game for either the team and spread (basketball) or total points (football) for a dollar a pop.

Draft saved Draft deleted