1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is softball sexist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2014.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The speed, or lack of speed alone is hard to adjust to. There is a reason Jamie Moyer, not Randy Johnson, has the Mariners record for strikeouts in a game.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Absolutely hate the chanting. Want to sing? Join the chorus. Save your breath for the games.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is the reason that you don't know what you're talking about or that you enjoy being wrong?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I so wanted to sack him just for the assholishness, Ben, but it is Randy Johnson.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In 10 years with the M's, Moyer got to double figures in strikeouts twice (11 both times).

Johnson had 15 or more Ks on 17 occasions with Seattle.

Ben has to be trolling, because that's about as wrong as a "fact" can be.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Also, even if that had somehow been true, I'm not sure how it would have made his point for him. Johnson still would have been miles ahead of Moyer for career Ks.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Point being, how can college softball be somehow viewed in a negative light or discriminatory when there are more scholarship opportunities for women than there are scholarship opportunities for men in baseball? Only in New York Times World can this be a problem.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I will grant this. Sorry ladies, but in a softball dugout, you never shut up. Does there have to be an organized cheer for everything?
    Oh, and stop with the earrings and makeup for a game.
    And quit crying if you lose. Cowgirl up.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only way I made it through the playoff was changing "We love free bases" to "We love free basing."

EDIT: In reply to Hondo's post, stop turing eyeblack into war paint.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl63n77Wl3I

It would be awesome if some team learned to sing this in the dugout.

Actually the chorus is pretty simple and easy to learn. ;) ;)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because women are supposed to be given equal opportunities, but yet, put a man in the same situation, and all of a sudden, people are screaming it's unfair.

To use my example, say a school offers 200 scholarships to men and 200 to women, which is roughly the NCAA limit (I didn't feel like adding fractions). Say the school doesn't offer baseball. A man goes out for softball, and not only makes the team, but takes away the scholarship. That then can make it 201 for men, 199 for women. What happens then?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Does it have to be that exactly even to stay in compliance? That was not my understanding of how the law is enforced.

Draft saved Draft deleted