1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Rudy G. Just Another George W.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 27, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, Mizzou, the system is shitty ... but what's worse is a Republican Party that panders to the far-right lunatic fringe.

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

...and a Democratic party that panders to the far-left lunatic fringe.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Jimmy, I would like to know what that would be. The far right is pushing for vouchers, pushing religion, and closing borders. Candidates that don't fall into line with that were pushed aside. McCain certainly was crushed over the religion aspect.

What would be classified as pandering to the Democrat's far-left lunatic fringe? At least what would it be as part of a national policy that they would like to implement?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What far-left lunatic fringe issues are the Democratic Party pandering to? Or is that just a tit-for-tat statement?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Right. If you base your political spectrum according to Bill O'Reilly.

Otherwise, that's just dumb.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The democrats biggest problem is that some of the most unlikable politicians around keep winning the nomination...

Gore should have cakewalked into the White House in 2000, but didn't because he ran one of the worst campaigns in recent memory... He didn't even win his home state... I know he's beloved now, the same way Dole was after he looked like a bumblefuck during the 1996 campaign.

Kerry had a great chance to win in 2004, but nobody could stomach the thought of having to look at the guy for four years.

I voted for Bush both times, never happily. We've had shit choices in both of the last two elections... I still maintain that if Edwards was at the top of the ticket in 2004, he would have won...

I would have love to have to choose between McCain and Obama, both of whom I think would be very good. I'd love to see Biden make a move among the democrats, but that's never going to happen...

I fear Thompson vs. Hillary. I think most of us see that as the worst-case scenario. Hell, if Hillary picked Obama as her running mate, I'd give serious thought to voting democrat. If Obama wins the nomination, I'll probably vote for him over anyone other than Rudy since I don't think McCain has a chance...

7. Gore did get half-a-million votes more than the other fella did.
    And I think voting on the basis of who you want to listen to for four years is pretty much how the country got in the mess it's in now.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, I don't disagree with the second part of your statement... I know we would like to think that a presidential election is something other than a popularity contest, but it's really not...

9. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

moveon, kos, etc.

one man's "reasonable Democrat" is another man's lunatic left-winger, much the same as you view the GOP's parts

if you really think border control and vouchers are "lunatic", we don't have much to talk about

10. Actually, most of the Democrats are getting flak because they're not listening to the "fringe", or the groups you mentioned.

Get out of Iraq right now and leave no one behind? None of the top three are advocating that approach, much to the dismay of the fringe.

Impeach Bush? Same as above.

Allow gay marriage with no questions asked? Same.

While the Dems try to move to the center (right or wrong), you've seen Giuliani, Romney and McCain move to the right to try to appease their base.

Sorry to let facts get in the way of your little rant.

11. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I never said untrue. I said biased. Whether it's true or not can be discussed by somebody else.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Schoolchildren in Beijing clamor for a more precise definition of "far left."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted