1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Rudy G. Just Another George W.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

According to the brain trust on this board, every candidate is unelectable... I find it funny that both of the frontrunners (Giuliani and Hillary) are declared unelectable almost every time they're mentioned...

I think Dennis Kucinich is unelectable. I think John McCain (unfortunately) is unelectable...

But Hillary and Giuliani are very electable... You may not like them, but they're the leaders for a reason.

2. Mizzougrad96

Sad that I bought it, or sad that I disagree with you?

That's just fucking stupid. I would probably never vote for Hillary Clinton under any circumstances, but I'm not going to tell someone who supports her that they're wrong for liking her. How arrogant is that?

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Mizzou, I posted "sad that you bought it" for a reason. The answer is a political ploy. It is no different than the other crap about not finding Jesus or loving their family. It is just worded better and is more original.

"What have you done wrong in your life?"
    "Stuff."
    "What stuff?"
    "Stuff."

Wow, what a genuine man!

4. I don't think Rudy is unelectable.
    If he were, I wouldn't be half so worried about him.

5. Mizzougrad96

Half of us feel that way about Rudy and the other half feels that way about Hillary...

Both are incredibly polarizing, but more than likely one of them is going to get elected.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Rudy is a much smarter and more dangerous version of GW.

If you thought the Bush administration was littered with cronies, expect a repeat with Giuliani.

The mans former chauffeur became NYC's top cop and one step away from becoming the head of Homeland Security before the skeletons in his closet spilled out.

That should say enough.....

7. Mizzougrad96

This is why I disagree. Bush surrounds himself with people who make all of the decisions. No way does Giuliani do that.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

There's also little in his background that would have indicated he'd be any good as a president either. He was an utter failure as a businessman, and only by riding the Texas Rangers wave with Tom Hicks did he put himself into a position to run for governor.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, but Bush was NOT effective as governor of Texas. He left the state with an incredibly massive deficit, which forced major funding cuts for public schools, and he did little to nothing to help protect ANY environmental standards in the state.

I speak from experience. Texas has been my home for 27 of my 36 years on this planet.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not to side-track the thread, but I never understand this dismissal of McCain, and I see it a lot.

His support of the war in Iraq is in no way McCain's "getting tough" to appease the right-wing base. He's always been hawkish and pro-military, and honestly believes we're doing the right thing there. I think he's totally wrong, but I don't question his motives at all.

On immigration he's getting killed because the right thinks he's nowhere near tough enough. (I think he's actually right on this issue, but it's virtually doomed him politically.)

He made a half-assed effort to kiss up to the Bob Jones crowd. That's about the extent of his political shift to get elected. Beyond that, he is who he is. His war support will keep me from voting for him but it's not like he supports it out of political expediency.

11. Mizzougrad96

McCain started kissing the asses of the people who buried him in the 2000 primaries because he thought that's what he would have to do to get elected. About a year ago, most thought it would work...

It's really unfortunate because I think he would have been a great president.

What's so fucked up about this system is that moderate republicans like McCain and Giuliani have to come off as ultra-conservative during the primaries to get the nomination, and then if they get the nomination, they have to come back to the center have a chance at winning the general election...

What a shitty system.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

McCain's stance on the war makes him unelectable. With so much opposition to it he's screwed himself out.

Draft saved Draft deleted