1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Rudy G. Just Another George W.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Bush was actually pretty effective as governor of Texas, in a position that is pretty weak traditionally. Then again, he was a compromiser then on a lot of issues, which has not been the case at the national level.

Also, Doc, I think Rudy won't get the nomination because of something that pops up and bites him bad, not because he doesn't have the support of a large contingent of GOP win-at-all-costers. Heck, I would almost rather see HRC in office than Rudy.

Errr, maybe neither.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

There's virtually nothing in Bush's political background that would have indicated how poor a president he would end up being.
    Bush has gotten dumber, his Texas speeches were actually better than what he spews forth now. I wish I could find the link but the side by side comparisons are a little scary.
    Rudy G. is unelectable. He spent more time watching the Yankees play than at Ground Zero after 9/11.
    He's a fraud, but he's mostly gotten a pass from the national media. The same media who couldn't wait to jump on Gore for an RNC talking point is letting Rudy off. Remarkable.
    Liberal media my ass.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree with you about Rudy. Which is why I asked my question. Who's gonna be left for the GOP to nominate?

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Daily Howler has had some good stuff on that recently, Jay.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes.

That is all.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yes, in fact, he is. He's your next President.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

While everybody knows Rudy has skeletons thanks to the NYC media almost all of those skeletons are old news.

I saw Rudy speak at Wharton a few years back and was blown away. Anybody who thinks he's stupid could not be further off. But since they're the best known of all the candidates, Rudy and Hillary are going to take more shit than all of the other candidates combined.

I also remember that republican debate from a few weeks ago when Stephanopolous (sp?) asked each candidate what their biggest regret was.

Most gave bullshit answers like, "That it took me 35 years to find Jesus" or "That I don't tell my family enough that I love them..."

Political bullshit answers... Then they got to Rudy, who said something to the effect of "There's no way I can list all of the mistakes I've made in 30 seconds..."

I like the guy. I think he will be a great president.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Aren't all skeletons old news?

9. I think he's an authoritarian yahoo who that believes he's smarter than anyone else, that the people he purportedly serves are his to command, that he's an authority on "terror" and foreign policy because he stood on some rubble and gave speeches even though his every speech on the subject is shot through with amateurish errors, that he's criminally addicted to self-righteousness and cronyism. In short, I think he's Bush with a brain and even less scruples.
    But Mizzou's right. He's not stupid. He's just dangerous.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd never suggest Rudy is stupid. Petty, ruthless, vindictive, vain and self-righteous are the words that come to mind most readily. He's far more intelligent than Bush. However, given the authoritarian nature Fenian mentions, his background as a prosecutor during the dawn of RICO laws, and the executive power groundwork layed by the Cheney-Bush administration (and insufficiently challenged by an inept Democratic party) I think he'd be more dangerous when it comes to civil rights abuses.

11. The command center built at the WTC at least partly for convenient trysts with the soon-to-be third Mrs. Giuliani.
    Bernie Kerik -- Director of Homeland Security.

Sorry, Rudy. Here are some lovely parting gifts.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Mizzou, I cannot believe that you don't see that as just another political hack answer. It is by far better than the usual junk, but to post what you did just shows that Rudy pulled with wool over your eyes.

Just look at that answer, did he actually state one mistake? No, Rudy said "I made quite a few mistakes in my life which can't be listed in 30-seconds." That's it. No mistake was mentioned. He could have been implying that he shouldn't have eaten chocolate as much while going through puberty. He could have been implying that he shouldn't have put the command center in the WTC.

Nope, no specifics, just more general political fluff. Sad that you bought it.

Draft saved Draft deleted