1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Rudy G. Just Another George W.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Exactly what did Rudy protect?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was going to say the pile of rubble, but people got sick from that, too.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

His image.

4. It seems like Rudy is falling for the same trap as McCain. In order to win over the base, he has to "get tough." If you read his opinions (pre-2007) on immigration and other issues, they sound reasonable. Now, though, it's attack! go on the offense! blah, blah, blah!!!

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

God help us all if Giuliani gets anywhere near the WH.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

In this case, it won't be. He won't get the nomination. If by some quirk he should get the nomination, he won't be elected. And it won't be close, either.

Under scrutiny, he is the least likeable major candidate in either party. And in this election, that's saying something.

Feel free to argue whether likeability is a meaningful criterion, or who had it in the prior two elections. I'll just stand by my statement.

7. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

No way he gets nominated. His skeletons have skeletons. Keep RG and Romney off the ballot and I'll be happier.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who, exactly, does that leave for the GOP? Two guys who don't believe in evolution and someone who did pro-choice work. Y'all have to nominate someone, and McCain's already dead (politically).

9. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

umm....yeah....it's very unbiased reporting:

"Giuliani's limitations are in fact remarkably similar to those of another man who has led the nation into a war without end. Some of the Bush Administration's policies, like improved intelligence sharing between countries and our own agencies, have made the U.S. better at fighting terrorism. But others, from the war in Iraq to the treatment of detainees at Guantánamo Bay, have actually made the task much more difficult."

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Please eloquently state why any part of that statement is untrue.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree. I also think that unlike W., who was a nothing politician as the governor of Texas, Guiliani had a demonstrated history of accomplishments as a prosecutor and as mayor. Whether you like his style or not, and whether you think he is evil, few people can argue that he is a guy who doesn't roll up his sleeves and accomplish things--whether it was clearing the mob out of the Fulton Street Fish Market and taking on white collar criminals as a prosecutor, or as mayor, reducing the crime rate and doing things to attract and retain businesses which had been fleeing to NJ under Dinkins. He's not just fluff and BS. The question for people really comes down to whether you like his style or not.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He's nothing but a lot of talk and a badge.

Without the badge. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted