1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Roseanne kidding?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I believe Walter Johnson once ran for Congress or a state office of some sort. Can't remember if he won or not.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or Bill Bradley. Or Jim Ryun. Or Sonny Bono.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or Vinegar Bend Mizzell. Or Carl Lewis.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Really? Roseanne a righty talking point in 2011?

She's boozing it up with Carlton in internet Cozumel right now.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I believe Thompson was in politics before show business. Wasn't he minority counsel or something during the Senate Watergate hearings?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

See, I don't think Carl qualifies. Apparently you have to win the election in order to render all your prior crackpot celebrity political speech retroactively sensible and not annoying.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Heath Shuler weeps because he hasn't been mentioned yet.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He was a US attorney, and also Howard Baker's campaign manager.

But he didn't run for election until after he was a movie "star."

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not sure if it was mentioned but the original post asks if Michael Moore would be OK if his income was capped. To answer that ... yes. He's said so, including last week on Real Time. If I am not mistaken (don't follow him very closely) Moore spends a lot of the money he has earned on charity including a boat load on his home town of Flint, Mich.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Still, I think that puts him light-years ahead of most celeb-turned-politicians in initial credibility.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He'd also been a lobbyist by then, which might make him less so.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not sure Newt was calling for beheadings.

It's almost a checkmark celebs have to make on their resume to show the world they care. But they're actors/entertainers. They've never been required to live in the real world so why should anyone think their spoutings have any validity in the real world? I remember distinctly one of the leading celeb-idiots Tim Robbins blasting Bush just days after 9-11 because (and I'm paraphrasing Robbins) the president told us, in a crisis, "to go shopping."

No, he didn't, asshole. He told people to not live their lives in fear, to go to work, go to school, do things with families, such as "shopping" and other things.

I suppose if we really didn't care what they'd say, I wouldn't have posted this and it wouldn't be into the second page. But I find it annoying and amusing at the same time that these twits know one iota of what they think they know. This goes for left and right because I never thought Charlton Heston had a damn clue, especially when he was into his NRA gig.

At least Bill Maher and Dennis Miller are funny. The rest are just fingernails on a blackboard as they pontificate then get into their limo or private jet and go back to Malibu or Aspen.

Draft saved Draft deleted