1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Roseanne kidding?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/10/01/roseanne_barr_behead_bankers_r

Maybe she is and maybe she isn't. Beheadings? Re-education camps?

By the way does she establish $100 million as the max amount anyone should have because that's about what she has? Would love to see the look on Michael Jordan's face, or Tiger, or the Brady-Gisele team if you capped them at $100 million.

Also noticed this week that Michael Moore and Susan Sarandon are either marching or have expressed sympathy with the Wall Street protesters. Will they be okay with higher taxes on their incomes? Capping their net worth? Will they or Roseanne donate part of their money back to the government because they feel guilty?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hondo, are you saying you agree with her and Newt Gingrich in wishing it was 1994 again? I mean those two at least have a reason to want it to be that year. Relevancy issues and all. I'm not sure why you care what she has to say though?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Salary caps for everyone!

4. Flying Headbutt

With that statement, OOP just started woofing and cheering like an audience member at the Arsenio Hall Show.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gotta love it when celebrities think we care what they think about politics...

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to argue so vehemently that guys like Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp and Barbara Streisand should be listened to because they had something to say. They were just cutting through all the b.s. and telling it like it is. They're poets. And poets always have something to say. They capture things that others can't.

Now that I'm a few years older and wiser and know more about politics and policy, I find it absurd that anyone would listen to these guys on substantive matters of infinite complexity (exceptions are guys like Schwarzenegger and Eastwood who actually got serious).

I guess it's good that celebs can rally people. But their job then should be to act as traffic cops to guide people to material and leaders of actual substance.

It's not impossible for a celebrity to learn enough about policy and politics to talk eloquently about those topics. Some of them have become true experts and advocates on narrow topics. But that's putting the proverbial camel through the eye of a needle. Most of them just spout off.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're wider?

I thought you had lost weight.

8. Dick Whitman

Freudian slip after a weekend of pizza, chocolate chip cookies, and Chipotle. :)

9. Mizzougrad96

I want Springsteen to write more songs about the common man from his private jet.

I love Springsteen, but I think celebs in general are so used to having their asses kissed that they think people care about what they think on politics.

As Dick said, there are a few who get serious about it and have good points of view, but 99 percent of them just wind up looking like idiots.

10. Dick Whitman

Bill Maher always has a panel that includes some high-ranking policy person, like a Congressman or an agency head, and then one or two nitwit celebrities who are breaking off applause lines. I don't know why a serious government official would ever go on that show and put up with getting dressed down by Jeanine Garrafalo.

11. Flying Headbutt

Because Bill Maher is just as big a joke as any of the other celebrities who think dishing out applause lines means you're witty and intelligent.

12. Mizzougrad96

Bill Maher and Jon Stewart and Dennis Miller all like to think they're smarter than their comedy counterparts and they probably are...

I'm a fan of all three, but that doesn't mean their point of view is going to sway me or probably anyone else's opinion in any way.

Draft saved Draft deleted