1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is RG3 done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know nothing about Griffin, D.C. or the NFL.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Become?

At least the Raiders have been to a Super Bowl since Snyder bought the Redskins.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Here's a hot take for you:

Griffin at his best > Vick at his best.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So, basically has Vick ever had a season equivalent to what RG3 did in 2012.

Vick was pretty amazing in 2010, his second in Philadelphia. He only played 12 games, but had over 3,000 yards passing 600 yards rushing, 21 passing TDs and 9 rushing TDs.

His numbers over 12 games were better than what RG3 did over 15.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrifRo01/gamelog/

Basically one excellent month-long stretch in his career. Pretty ordinary the rest.
    But he probably deserves a chance to show what he can do not starting for a dump of a franchise.
    Like a lot of other shitty quarterbacks who flamed out did.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As someone who lives in the area and has followed his career — we played for the same college coach — he is very smart, and wouldn't need a coach to explain those basic things to him. He watches film and breaks it down every week for that radio station.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Yeah, I didn't mean to doubt his knowledge. It was just so on point with everything Gruden said Monday. But maybe it's just that noticeable to real football guys.

Does Cooley work for the Redskins or is he on an independent station? He is still their color guy too, right?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its Danny Boy's station.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The station is owned by Snyder, but it's still very critical of the team. Steve Czaban, the co-host of that show, has been working there since before Snyder bought it, and he's a pretty independent call-it-like-I-see-it voice. They don't rip Snyder, certainly, but they aren't afraid to be critical of the team.

I think his mechanical/coverage reading problems are so glaring right now that anyone who has played the game on the offensive side of the football at the NFL level can look at them and pick them apart. He's right when he says these are very basic route combinations, run by virtually every NFL team, and he's not even understanding where his FIRST read should be. I think the inability to take the right number of steps on a drop back is HUGE. It seems like a minor thing, but it's really one of the most important things in the entire passing game. Everything is predicated on timing in the NFL, and if you're taking three steps when you should be taking five, the receiver is breaking into his first cut when you're already looking at him, you're giving the defense a huge advantage every time. Take five steps when you should be taking three, the opposite problem occurs. Take nine steps and refuse to step up so that the tackles can push their guy the speed rushers by when they get around the edge and you're putting them in a totally unfair position. He's not only playing poorly, he's playing selfishly (though he doesn't see it that way) because he won't do basic fundamental things that make everything else possible.

Some of the leadership stuff, I think it's a bit overblown. Do your job, people won't care that much what you say or what mistakes you make in press conferences. But if you can't even get basic details right, and THEN you blame everyone (even after blaming yourself) yeah, then I can see that being and issue.

The Shanny Boys hid a lot of his flaws by embracing the pistol, but it's clear he needed to show he could progress from that and run an offense that you can run every week against any opponent. Instead, he's regressing. It's not the media attacking him or being unfair or that the rest of the team is bad. He's just showing he's not focused on the details that are the building blocks of playing QB in the NFL.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

All this talk of someone in Washington, D.C. who is all flash, has a great narrative, dangerously overconfident and hesitant to adapt to the circumstances.

Not in D.C...

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Heavens, no.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Looking at that, I think calling it only a month-long stretch undersells him (I'm assuming you're talking about his first 4 games).
    Game No. 6 is pretty amazing (77% completion 1 TD 1 INT. Only 182 yards passing, but 138 on the ground and 3 total TDs)
    Game 7 71% completion, 250 yards, 2 TD 1 INT, 9.89 ypc (9/89) is pretty good. Definitely better than what I'd consider mediocre.
    Game 10 is phenominal (14/15 200 yds 4 TDs, 12 rush 84 yds)
    Game 11 might even be better (only 70% completion, 4TDs 1 INT, 304 yards) that game was a great example of how he'd kill you with big passing plays his rookie year if you sold out too much against the run.

Interestingly, Alfred Morris has also fallen far since 2012. In 2012 he was 9th in the league in YPC (among qualified), now he's around 30th. The lack of concern about RGIII's legs has been really hurting Morris, too, it seems.

Draft saved Draft deleted