1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Priceline Too Good to be True -- or -- Planning a Flight to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So you're departing early-evening out of Phoenix, Monday night?

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Nope, the layover was going to be from 6:30-9:10 p.m.

Found a different flight through CLE that dropped the price difference to $20, though, so I think my decision just got easier.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Think so, too. Hopkins at a $20 premium seems the way to go.

4. fanboy

fanboy Member

check out www.farecast.com.

They've got a big computer model that helps to let you know whether the price you're paying is a good one, and what the chances of the prices changing in the next few weeks are.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I tried seeing about a flight to Vegas for the coming weekend on priceline, leaving Friday and coming back Sunday.

The flight left at 8:20 p.m. Friday and the return trip left at 11 p.m. Saturday and got back at about 6 a.m. Sunday.

Hey, thanks for giving me the absolute shortest time in Vegas and still technically touch all three days, boys!

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think that if you buy the ticket thru a third party like Priceline you're pretty much fucked when it comes to flight changes.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's incredible. I can't stop laughing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't book it, obviously.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Others have already stressed this: NEVER use Priceline if you want to fly at certain times. My experience is that the trade-off for a bargain-basement fare is a flight that leaves at 6 a.m. or arrives at midnight.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And you're in a middle seat.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The demand for morning flights from the East to Vegas is enormous, for this reason.

Believe me, if you're shopping for bottom-rung prices, the flights that land at
    10 PM our there are the ones you're going to get.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Called Contintental this morning, told them the change from 2:50 to 4:30 was no good, I wanted to be on the 12:45 out of Newark that lands at 3:10.
    Done. No charge.

Draft saved Draft deleted